Can I become an airline pilot with a dui?

Connor,

You need to work on how you describe this event because it currently leaves me with some questions and is not quite clear what happened. It is important to use proper grammar and punctuation in the commercial pilot industry.

So my understanding is…

1. You were never prescribed anti-depressants but tried 1 pill (from family members prescription) on this night you were arrested.
  2. After taking that pill you picked up a buddy who had a “road soda” and were pulled over by the cops.
  3. You failed field sobriety test so you were arrested & charged for DUI. Cited for open container.
  4. You paid open container fine, DUI charge was dropped.
  5. Did alcohol rehab as a precaution while case was pending.

If that is correct you do not have a DUI conviction on your record, or any Conviction related to drugs or alcohol. The arrest will still need to be mentioned though.
Good news:

• No conviction, so can go to Canada (very important).
  • Was 4 years ago so by the time you go corporate it will be around 6yrs ago.

Marginal News:

• 5years ago gives AME more leniency in their decision making (waiting could help).
  • You need to word this event carefully with the AME. I would consult this with an Aviation Lawyer. AOPA has a free consultation with Premium Membership (like $160). Spend a little money now so you hopefully don’t have to spend a ton of money later. The Aviation Lawyer can determine how to discuss the DUI arrest, and whether you legally have to mention taking an Anti-depressant you were not prescribed (because that’s not legal either).
  • If you are required to disclose the Anti-depressant you most likely will be deferred and it will take 6months or so to get a medical after the FAA reviews it (could cost $1000s as well).

Here are links to the FAA forms the AME uses to determine if they can issue you a medical or have to defer it. I would look at:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/abuse_dep/

Chris F

1 Like

Connor,

Your first issue is going to be obtaining a first class medical from the FAA. In regards to drugs and alcohol, the FAA asks “Have you ever…” to which you will need to reply yes. I suspect that the FAA will give you a bit of a hard time about he prescription drug abuse, but that you will ultimately be issued a medical.

As to the airlines, people understand that things happen when we are young and that we all do not always make perfect decisions. It sounds like you have learned from your mistakes. That being said, you will be competing against pilots with perfectly clean track records. You will need to find a way to stand out.

I would also recommend calling the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and asking them directly.

Chris

Connor,

I really don’t like the way you explained what happened either. It raises more questions because it sounds like you’re leaving important details out of what actually happened.

If you ever want to become a pilot, as the others have said, you will need to start by getting your 1st Class Medical Certificate.

If let’s say you eventually get your medical, you then need to spend some time flying before you commit to becoming a pilot. Self-proclaimed passion or not, if you’ve never actually flown you need to get that taken care of by going on at least one intro flight. More may be necessary. All depends on the experience and the individual.

But if you aren’t hiding anything from your story, and you can hold a 1st Class Medical, and you love your intro flight experience, then I would say you have a shot at becoming a pilot so long as you keep your record perfectly clean from here on out. But you definitely need to work on your telling of what happened the night you were arrested.

Tory

Chris,

I’m going to talk to an AME/Aviation lawyer in the next couple months, but I might wait to actually go after my license until 5 years passes from that date. I will also work on getting more into detail about that night.

Thanks so much,
Connor

Connor,

Check out AOPA, I believe they have some sort of legal services plan that might make it a lot cheaper to speak with an attorney than if you just call one.

Chris

Crazy that this is still active but I really need advice.

For starters I’m 24 right now.

I graduated A&P school in May, and am still testing for my license. I’m currently working for a company in the overhauling subsector at the airport. My fingerprints for my SIDA badge have not been approved or denied yet.

I became an A&P to get into the work force, and hopefully put me a step above for a pilot’s position. However, I screwed that royally, I believe- but want to know if I have a fighting chance whatsoever.

In July I was arrested for a dwi, where I accrued many different misdemeanors along with it. Some of which should be thrown out once the case settles (driving without insurance/registration, I have proof of having insurance and later got the car registered) but some will probably stick. I acquired failure to pull to the farthest right, resisting arrest, failure to yield to police lights, dwi, and one more I can’t quite remember without the paperwork in front of me. I refused to blow. The case has not been settled in court yet.

I have an alcohol related MIP from when I was 19 as well some speeding tickets and not-at-fault accidents.

I also have a petty theft charge from when I was 16, I wasn’t arrested, just stopped by the store who then called the police. It immediately got thrown out, I don’t even think it went to court. I had to visit some probation person who said not to worry about it and to never mention it on job interviews.

As I sit down and write this out I realize how crap it looks, even though I have a great head on my shoulders, graduated valedictorian of my class, and I’m passionate about aviation. I would just like to know if my true pipeline dream is going to remain a pipeline dream.

Unsure if this matters, but I would like to be a cargo pilot. I don’t have a strong desire for regional airlines.

I should add that I’ve been in an in-patient facility for mental health twice as a teenager. Medical wise, I’m not aware what they can see or find out.

Hindsight is 20/20 right…

Trussell,

I’m not going to lie. You’ve got a history to overcome, particularly with your most recent arrest. You need to put some time between your arrests and show that you have turned things around. Until that happens I don’t see you flying.

Adam

Trussell,

Your history spans the last 8 years, with your latest offense being 5mo ago. This shows a pattern of negligence and I think you will have a tough time advancing in this industry, if ever.

Regardless of which charges are dropped, you will have to disclose everything because the FAA doesn’t just look at your record, they also ask, “Have you ever…?”

If you want a second or third opinion, I recommend that you contact some regional airlines.

The only way I see you having a real shot at becoming an airline pilot or even a cargo pilot is if you don’t get in anymore trouble for the rest of your life and if you can put at least 5 to 10 years between your last offense.

Tory

Trussell,

I cannot speak for the FAA, but I think you will have a very hard time getting a Medical certificate. You will be required to report your arrests and the inpatient mental facility will raise serious questions. My suspicion is that you would not be able to obtain a medical, but it would be best to check with a FAA AME. By the way, it isn’t a question of “what they can see or find out”, as you are required to report these things and you really do not want to add lying tot he federal government to your rap sheet.

Chris

Regarding the petty theft at 16. If you had a probation officer… it wasn’t “thrown out”. You probably got some youth offender diversion program that might have been expunged once 18… maybe.

You can get a copy of your arrest history from the FBI and your local police dept or court system. Can also get a record of your driving history from State DMV.

Pre-Covid all AA regionals and a few others wanted 5yrs since any DUI conviction. (Flight training and time building takes 2-4yrs) Some Regionals took less. I know some corporate don’t allow it at all. Cargo it depends.

Like others have said, getting a medical will be tough. Your BAC matters as well if they took your blood. .15 or greater is more serious according to FAA.

I have a friend who was drunk at his own house and police were called for noise complaint. Very long story but It escalated to an arrest. Charges were dropped but he had a .16bac so the FAA labeled him an alcoholic and hasn’t renewed his medical for almost 2years. He hasn’t drank in 18months, with psych evals saying he’s fine… to give you an idea of how big of a hurdle it can be.

Consider speaking with an Aviation attorney, AOPA, or a HIMS AME. I assume if you could get a medical it will cost you thousands of dollars and a lot of time.

Chris F

Hello everyone. Like many here, I also have a dui in the past. Specifically 7 years ago. Since the arrest I have a clean record. I have recently received a first class medical and am planning to start my private pilot training with the goal of becoming a pilot for UPS. I have spoken with a contact that was head of hiring for 10 year with UPS airlines and informed me that a DUI would not be an automatic DQ but that I would need to have a resume that stood out amongst the rest given that I do not have a degree as well. My time with UPS as a commercial driver (4 years driving/ 12 total) are a positive in his eyes. From your experiences do you believe I may have a shot at being a career pilot? Below is my FAA personal statement for more depth about me. Thank you all.

Subject: Personal Statement

To: FAA

Pertaining to the Offense, Legal and Direct Outcomes:

11/16/2014 arrest, Riverside County, CA. The incident followed a last-minute decision to
celebrate a friend’s birthday at a vacation home in Indian Wells, CA. We took a taxi to and from
the bars in Indian Wells. Upon returning to the vacation home, I realized there was no food or
water in the residence and made the poor decision to drive to a nearby fast-food restaurant. I was pulled over on the way back after making a legal U-turn. My BAC was tested above 0.15.

06/29/2015 - Conviction, Riverside County, CA.

06/29/2015 - 10/29/2015 Driver License suspension

03/28/2016 - 12/28/16 Anderson Counseling & Education

08/13/16 - Riverside County Sheriff’s Department Community Service

Completed Prior to Offense:

Before the event of November 16, 2014, my use of alcohol was occasional social drinking. I had
no record of abuse, over-indulgence, impaired driving, or failed drug screening. I was 23 years
old at the time of my arrest. I was in my fourth year as a Warehouse Worker/Package Handler
for UPS with hopes of becoming a Package Driver. I was following in the footsteps of my
grandfather, who worked his way up from a Warehouse Worker to a Class A Commercial
Feeder Driver for UPS, complete with a 30-year safe driving record.

Post Offense:

I abstained from alcohol for several years following my arrest. I then resumed occasional
drinking in social settings, primarily during celebrations. Since November 16, 2014, I have not driven after drinking nor gotten into a car with someone who planned to drive after drinking. I
use a ride share service each time I go out, regardless of how much or how little I plan to drink. I also choose to use a ride share service when I’m sober if I am going somewhere with others who will be drinking. I know I made a huge mistake seven years ago that has affected and is
still affecting my career. The incident delayed my promotion to Package Driver by three years
and forced me to jump through additional hoops. This year I was promoted to Class A
Commercial Feeder Driver, and the next promotion is to become a pilot for UPS Airlines. Six members of my family work or have worked for UPS, and I would be the first to become a UPS
pilot. I have maintained a zero injury/zero accident record for the entirety of my nearly 12
career with UPS, and I am licensed by the DOT and participate in random drug screenings
with a 100% pass rate. I have had no accidents and have not been pulled over since my arrest.
I’ve been on the UPS Safety Committee, and am now STA certified, meaning I am able to deliver to and pick up from airports.

I have grown as a human and as an employee since my incident. I am more self-aware and
have learned that the decisions you make impact every part of your life. I regret my decision to
get behind the wheel while intoxicated. I am grateful that I did not hurt anyone except for my
career. I deserved every repercussion I faced after my incident. Now, I am looking toward the
future. I dream of advancing my career at UPS and becoming a pilot. I want to set a good
example for my family, attain a schedule that allows me to spend more time with them when I
am not working, and provide a better life. I have an excellent reputation at UPS and am seen
as someone who is constantly pushing myself to learn and excel. I take my work very seriously
and would never do anything again to jeopardize my career, life, or anyone else’s.
Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I was not able to obtain the police report.

With the utmost respect,

Vincent Ortega

Vincent,

If all the above is correct and you remain clean I do believe your DUI will not be an issue.

If however your goal is to fly for UPS I’m really more concerned with the combination of a DUI and no degree. I agree with your friend, you’ll need something to compensate for the two and while being a driver is definitely an asset you haven’t told us anything that would make you “stand out” and cause UPS gives you the nod over a pilot without a DUI and a degree (which will be the bulk of your competition).

If I were you AND you want to be successful as an airline pilot I’d be thinking about checking that degree box.

Adam

Vincent,

I have never heard of a pilot being hired at UPS without a degree. I think this is a far larger concern for you than the DUI.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I agree, it does seem like a degree is a prerequisite on most job listings I see. As of now, my predicament is finding time in my schedule for consistent flight training with my 60-70 hr work weeks. At 30 years old and just starting flight, I feel like I have to pick and choose flight training or a degree and no way will have time for both.

Vinny,

You don’t have to choose. Do your flight training (sooner rather than later), build your flight the to get hired with a Regional. While you’re flying for a Regional get an online aviation degree with credit for your pilot licenses and ratings and then by the time you’ve got competitive minimums for UPS you apply.

Adam

1 Like

Vinny,
I agree with Adam. At your age you should commit and go full time in to flight training. Once you get to a regional, you’ll have a few years to knock out an online degree. By that time, with a degree and a great history of successful checkrides (plus more than 10 years since your DUI), you should have a healthy shot at a job offer.
-Hannah

@Adam @Hannah thank you both for your insight. That path seems like the way to go in my situation and definitely more attainable that way. Thanks again for your help.

Hello, I need advice I was convicted of a DUI in 2020 and was way over the limit. I don’t remember getting behind the wheel (blacked out) and I ended up wrecking and flipping upside down into a ditch. I woke up the next morning having no idea what had happened, and my DUI was dropped from an aggravated DUI (felony) to a regular misdemeanor. I had way to much to drink on an empty stomach, wasn’t pouring my own drinks, was in an unfamiliar place and the last thing I remember was playing a card game, then it was morning upside down in a ditch waking up to a man yelling to see if I was alive. I’ve also had 2 drunk in publics before the wreck because I was never one to drink and drive when I’m actually coherent. I’m wondering if this could stop my dream of being a pilot? I don’t necessarily have to fly for a major airline but would like too know if that could still be an option to fly for a major airline or resort to smaller aircraft jobs or just give up on flying in general. I don’t want to waste time and money on something that I may not even have a chance of becoming. What do you think my options are? Could I fly for Major, regional, CFI, pipeline, and so on? The dui happened when I was 25 I’m now 27.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Not a lawyer or doctor so this is strictly based off of personal experience / friends experience I know of.

You’re definitely going to be deferred for review before getting a medical from an AME. I believe if your BAC is .15 or higher it’s automatic, the AME also has discretion and doesn’t have to give it to you even with a lower BAC.

The FAA hates patterns. 3 separate incidents that escalated over the years from drunk in public to a dui are not going to look good to them. They won’t like “I didn’t pour my own drinks”, so I’d probably leave that out.

My guess is they’d want multiple psych evaluations and drug/alcohol programs before considering giving you a 1st class medical (I have a friend who lost his 2yrs ago for 1 drunk in public with BAC of .16).

Glad you are alive and hope you’ve cleaned up since that event. My guess is it will be a hard uphill battle with not only the airlines, but also the FAA. An aviation lawyer might be a good investment early. Do more research too. Glad you survived the incident, I wish you the best of luck.

Chris F

1 Like

Caleb,

There was a time when a DUI was an automatic “no” but due to the pilot shortage things have changed. That said it’s clear there’s a problem. You’re not 18 anymore and you’re continuing to have issues. This indicates a pattern and the FAA HATES patterns of bad behavior, particularly when it comes to drugs and alcohol. Further in your explanation you blame a number of factors implying a lack of willingness to accept responsibility. That’s another thing the FAA and the airlines really don’t like.

Your first and perhaps biggest obstacle will be getting a First Class medical. I recommend you contact a HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) AME (Aviation Medical Examiner). They would be the best to guide you going forward.

Adam

1 Like