Can somebody with brain cancer become a pilot?

Becoming a pilot is something that I have dreamed over since I was little. In 2022, however, I was diagnosed with brain cancer. By now, it has been treated with surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. The tumor still remains, but it no longer affects me as it did before. In the medical certificates, they mention that one cannot be prone to seizures. For myself, the only time I’ve had a generalized seizure was immediately after my physical surgery was finished, and focal seizures happened during my radiation therapy stage. After chemo was finished in June of 2023, I haven’t had any of those symptoms.

The biggest issue for me is that I am very interested in becoming a pilot, but am concerned that this situation might cause me to be unable to do so… If anyone has any answers, please let me know!

Thank you!

Devin,

This is a question ONLY an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) can answer. There are simply too many variables but if this is something you want to pursue, you need to contact an AME in your area for a consult. It doesn’t matter if you know a guy who was ok, or of someone comes on the forum with the same condition. EVERY case is different.

Adam

Devin,

You need to speak with a FAA Aviation Medical Examiner, they are the only people that can answer that question.

I will say that I suspect that the FAA will have LOTS of questions, so expect to have it take considerable time and a lot of back and forth with the FAA.

Chris

Okay all, I will get in contact with an AME and see what they say. Thank you!

Devin,

You can find your nearest AME through the FAA’s website:

Brady

Devin,

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Brady posted the link to find the nearest AME in your area. I would book an appointment there ASAP. I suspect they will need further information on your past medical history and it could take some significant time to work through. However, it’s a required item to be a pilot. You’re just going to have to be patient and keep focused on the dream.

Hannah