Career path for aviation

Hello! I’m currently a senior in high school, and I am Dual-Enrolled with Embry-Riddle.
I received my acceptance letter for Embry-Riddle Daytona, but I also applied for the American Airlines Cadet Program. If I attend Embr-Riddle with the sickening price tag, I will receive a Bachelor’s in Aeronautical Science. Although, If I attend the American Cadet Program, I will spend roughly 100,000 less but not earn a degree. There’s also the alternative that I attend a 4-year college and acquire a degree then apply for an ATP program or whatnot. I would love feedback and aid in my decision, and I hope you have a great day!c

Christian,

I am not a fan of Embry Riddle. I think their program is ridiculously over priced for what it offers. I am also not a fan of not having a college degree because inevitably, it will end up holding you back at some point in life.

I like the idea of a fast track training program, combined with a degree that is not an aviation degree. Check out the FAQ section as there is a while write up on that.

Chris

Christian,

You’ve just described three different ways of achieving the same goal. Sounds, to me, like you just need to pick one.

I can’t answer that question for you, but I do want to help you. So, could you give us a little more information? Is there anything about these options that has you hesitant about pick one? It really comes down to you and what you want and what you think is best, but if you’re having trouble lay it out for us.

Tory

Hello, thank you for the quick response! The three choices I’ve displayed all have pros and cons of course, if I attend Embry-Riddle I will have a degree and my ratings from their flight program. The downside is that the schooling is easily over $200,000. The American Airline Cadet Program is a part 107 school with a price tag of roughly $87,000. They offer the same ratings as Embry-Riddle but if I lost my medical form I would not have a degree to fall back upon. Ultimately, my goal is to be a major airline pilot. If any guidance you could provide for choosing the right path would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your response! I will check out the FAQ.

I am currently at Embry-Riddle Daytona right now. You said that you was dual-enrolled so do you have most or all of your gen-Ed classes done? Chris is right in the fact that it is extremely overpriced. The way I did it was getting my gen ed classes out of the way and also doing my flight training off campus because it’s WAY cheaper and faster. Doing that has saved me around the $100k range. I kinda cringe when I see or hear about people coming to Riddle without any credits or ratings because all of these expenses add up really quickly. I have a friend who is a sophomore and $25k later still no PPL. Of course this isn’t the story for everyone, I also have plenty of friends that are going along fine but I constantly hear them complain about how much their flight cost that day.

One thing I’d also like to tell you is that Riddle is busting through the seams with students right now and they are building another residence hall even as we speak right now to accommodate EVEN more students. One thing about Riddle is that they like to take in more students than they can handle. The fact that you are already accepted into the Aeronautical Degree program means that you are pretty much already in. When I transferred in they weren’t accepting any AS students so a lot of people were automatically getting rejected. With that being said there is a possibility that you will be wait listed (inevitable if you don’t apply for a flight block early enough) because of how many students there are coming in. We have a decently big fleet down here but even with 75 ish planes that still isn’t enough to fly everyone. Another thing is that they have a lot of safety nets built in their flight program which can be limiting to a student gaining experience. You know how ATP does crew flights where students are partnered up and they fly multiple cross countries to various locations? Well don’t expect that here because if you go on a solo cross country you are limited to a list of airports (usually smaller and close by) that you can fly to. I’m by no means saying that this is outright bad. I am actually kind of glad that it is implemented here because there are a decent amount of over-confident pilots here.

After saying all of this I am not going to say that Riddle is the best or worse option. It all depends on your situation. For me it is an amazing option but I transferred in with all of my gen-Ed and some core classes completed and also with multiple scholarships (I am not trying to toot my own horn by saying that at all). But for others they will easily be over $200k in debt by the time they graduate. Sorry for the painfully long read I’m just trying to give you as much information as possible. I am not trying to scare you into not coming or persuade you into coming here, I’m more or less just acting as a source that is actually at Embry-Riddle. I want to give you information that they won’t tell you on your group tour at the school (if you went to one). I would look to the mentors for an answer as far as what to do in order to achieve your career because they went through the process and obviously made it but hopefully this 10 page essay helps out at least a little bit :joy:.

P. S. If you do come, we should meet up at the Union one day :+1:t6:

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve already chosen not to go to Riddle because of the price tag. Am I right? So, that leaves AA with no degree or degree now and flight training later.

At some point you’re going to need a degree. Even though major airlines say it’s not required, most pilots have one. So, why not get the degree out of the way first? Or take two years now, then get your ratings, then finish your four year degree online while flying for a regional?

You have many options. I’m just throwing out suggestions. Ultimately it comes down to you and your preferences.

Tory

Christian,

Alot can happen between you being a HS senior and the airlines. Aviation degrees really don’t serve much good. The airlines don’t require or desire them and if flying doesn’t work out there’s not much you can do with one.

Finish HS, get a degree (at least a 2yr) and then see how you feel. It’s always good to have a Plan B in this industry. Further while AA might accept you, as a rule people are more successful if they allow themselves to mature some before starting these programs (which is why ATP will not even accept grads right ot of HS). Education is never a bad thing.

Adam

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your response! The information you’ve provided has been a huge help to me! If i can ask another question: How did you pay for the school? And if it happens to be a loan how would I get started with that? Additionally, If i do attend for fall 2020 I would love to thank you for you help! Best wishes!

Christian,

The majority of students get loans. If you’re considering ATP, their financial people can help with that.

Adam

I am using a federal student loan to pay for college since my dad was military. I don’t think that you have to have to be or have a family member in the military to get a federal loan but I can’t say that with 100% confidence so you will need to look that up to clarify. As Adam said, most kids that come here or go to college in general will use student loans. I have a friend down here who’s dad works for Riddle so his tuition is free and all he has to pay for is his housing and meal plan. And if you do go to ATP then do as Adam said and contact their financial department.

I took out a loan from Sallie Mae: Flight Training Loans / ATP Flight School

Tory

I took out a loan as well. I had to have a parent co-sign it as I was young and did not really have any credit to speak of.