Career switch at 50, 4500 hrs PIC

Good day, all. I’ve been out of aviation for the past 12 years and am getting burnout. The pay is good but im ready for a change. So I’m thinking about switching gears back into aviation.
I currently have about 4500 hours as PIC, mostly SEL. about 150 IFR, a couple hundred night a couple thousand cross country and a measly 50 hours MEL. FAA CPL/IFR
My thoughts, get ATP, type rating A320 or 737, 500 hours line training and shoot for first officer… most likely china or UAE, Qatar, Dubai…,
My question, is this realistic. Approximate price tag and income down the line. I’m 50 btw, medical no issue.
Any thoughts and comments are appreciated… for now just an idea

Harald,

If you really look into most foreign carriers you’ll see 2 things you don’t see here in the US. One, they don’t only want a Type rating, they want “time in type”. Second, most also state “experience commensurate with age” which means at 50 they expect you to have some airline experience, while others just cap hiring at 50. The 500 hours of line training would satisfy the time in type but where are you going to get that? To pay for it yourself would be ridiculously expensive and your chances of getting hired right into a 737 or A320 are nil. Factor in again the age limitation and I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Adam

Thank you Adam for your opinion. More then anything else, this is a sanity check and I do agree with your stated opinion. Looking at options :slight_smile:

Harald,

I would not spend any money on getting an ATP. I would go to work for the regionals, who will provide your ATP license training for you, build hours and then apply to the airlines that you really want to work for.

Chris

Hello Chris, thank you.
Any input regarding business jets. Not everybody has to fly for the majors. Citation or Hawker may do as well… but then the time in type etc may be an issue? coming from a solid 3 digit income to starter pilot wages may be a tough proposition… again, reality check :slight_smile:

Good morning sir,

I have a question somewhat along these lines. I’ve been in the mortgage industry for years and am burning out on it. I am looking for a career change and have always dreamed of flying and have been looking at this school for the past couple years and toying with the idea of applying. I will turn 30 in August with 0 flight experience. In all honesty is it too late to make to begin this path?

Appreciate it!
Will

Will,

Please visit our FAQ section as we address this and many common questions.

Adam

Will,

This question is covered in depth in the FAQ section. The short answer is that no, it is not too late, but you do not have much time to waste either.

Chris