Choosing the school

Hi all,

Just recently decided that I want to fly as a commercial pilot and I am not sure where to start… Well, I know I got to look for flight school but what kind of information should I look for when choosing the best one for myself? I have heard that it takes many years (like 4-6) to become a commercial pilot; is that true? I don’t want to be financially broke while I in school and training, will I be able to work at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Sharon,

You should start by taking a look at the frequently asked questions of this website, there is some great I formation in there that will get you started in the right direction.

With ATP, it takes about two years to become an airline pilot, nine months of that is being in school while the rest is working (and getting paid) to be a flight instructor.

You will not be able to work during the program as it is a highly accelerated program that will take most, if not all, of your time.

Let us know what other questions you have.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

What is the difference between a sponsorship and a flight school?

A flight school is a place that teaches people to fly airplanes. There are no “sponsorships” available in the US.

I’m just starting my career as a pilot. It’s always been a dream of mine and I’d like to share how I chose my school. I’m on the older side of starting this career path (33)- and like you Sharon- I didn’t want to be broke. I also do not have a family to support, which is a luxury a lot of people my age don’t have. Also, I live in LA and have bills to pay (RENT!!!)- but who doesn’t.

Since I’m paying as I go, it was important to find an inexpensive (relative term in this industry) school. I was fortunate to be close (enough) to a community college that offers a flight program and two year degree. There’s pros and cons to choosing between a collegiate program and specialized flight school such as ATP.

At Glendale Community College in LA, the cost to get your commercial rating- from ground school up- is about $25K. It will take between 2 years before I can get on as a CFI, but the cost is very hard to beat. The college is reputable and owns it’s own 3 Cessna’s 172.

One of my best friends, who now works for Hawaiian as a pilot, did it all through ATP and finished in about a year. He put it to me like this: Is cost or time more important? ATP is a good choice if you have the money and time to accelerate through the program. But as Chris stated, this route requires your full attention.

Hopefully you can find a local college that has a similar program, otherwise, I’d look into ATP. That’s who I would go through if the program I’m in does not meet expectations.

Erick,

You have to do what works best for you but know that you have a finite number of years you can fly. The longer it takes you to get hired, the longer it takes you to get paid and the less you’ll make in the end. The money you’re saving now is nothing compared to the money you’re sacrificing.

Adam

Erick,

Good to know that colleges are offering this program at a lower cost! I live close to LA and the rent is very high! But, I do want to get this done as fast as I could and start making money. I do think ATP flight school is the best option for me (until I find something better later). I did find another program offered by JetBlue—Gateway Program, which guarantees a job upon completion. However, the program is more expensive than flight schools and it can be very competitive.

Was it easy for you to find a job? I’ve been told that it might not be easy to find a job when you’re new…

Sharon,

If you do your training with ATP and instructor position is GUARANTEED (provided you successfully complete your training). Erick states it will take “2 years to get on as a CFI”. That’s 2 years at the airlines you’ll NEVER get back which means a potential $600k+ you’ll never see in your career to save a few dollars now.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your valued input. I think you keep missing a key point to Sharon’s and my concerns entering this industry. We’ve mentioned that we have to work because we have bills to pay (rent, insurance, car, etc) in a very expensive city. Moving to my parents basement is not an option, for me anyways. Of course I’d love to get this done as soon as possible, but I cannot work full time and enroll in ATP’s accelerated program because it’s just not feasible for me (and I’d say most) individuals that need guaranteed income to survive during training. So for me, it’s going to take a couple years regardless of where I go because that is what my current situation allows me to do. So I chose the least expensive route available.

Sharon,

I’ve had my current management job for nearly a decade. I’m allowed some flexibility to enroll in the college program after work. That means long days, but it’s a small sacrifice to fulfill this dream. Also, most flight programs guarantee an instructor position because it’s has a high turn over rate. Most pilots do it for the hours, and then move onto the next step. My advice is to do a lot of due diligence in choosing your path. I’ve learned a lot of flight schools, like most for profit schools in the country, try to sell you on their programs with guarantees of this and that. My favorite is a “guaranteed interview” with a major airline. At the end of the day, your resume will meet the same requirements as me in terms of qualifications. Airlines hire based on merit and qualifications. Do you have a college degree? I’ve read on numerous sites that a degree is a big boost when trying to get hired by the bigs. In fact, some do not even hire pilots that do not have a college degree. That’s not to say it’s impossible, but you have a higher mountain to climb when your resume is compared to others that do have a degree. But Delta and a few others will not hire you without one. I have a degree but still getting an additional 2 year aviation degree from my institution to demonstrate my commitment to everything flying. Plus taking courses in meteorology, navigation, and airport operations (to name a few) have a lot of value to enhance my knowledge and develop better situational awareness.

Again, I’m just doing what works best for me. There’s a lot of information available on the web. If you find a program you like, look for individuals testimonies outside of the programs web page. The best information comes from pilots with your same situation and background. You’ll learn from their mistakes and successes. I think finding a reputable school is the most important in terms of knowledge and safety. One of my best friends, flies for Hawaiian now, no college degree, learned from ATP. However, his parents were able to afford his training so again, everyone has their own situation.

-Erick

Erick,

With all due respect I’m not missing anything. I understand and appreciate it can be difficult and a huge sacrifice and you obviously have to do what’s best for you. That said I DO understand what you’re saying as when I signed up for ATP I had a wife, 3 small children, a dog and a mortgage in Rockland County NY (arguably one of the most expensive cities in the country. My property taxes alone were $2,000mos). My entire family had to sacrifice for me to follow MY dream. Perhaps it was selfish but I had tried the piece by piece local flight school route and it didn’t work. It cost me WAYYYYY TOO MUCH time and money and I determined that training fulltime was the only route. Now it’s your life and you again need to do what’s best for you but please don’t tell me what I’m missing. Been there done that.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response. I certainly don’t mean to disrespect your opinion. In fact, we students are counting on your expert advice. But since you’re the only pilot actively commenting on this thread, I cannot help feel like you’re not being totally up front with the pains a pilot starts their career from. Sure, 300K sounds fantastic (where can I sign up!). But…

When you say: “That’s 2 years at the airlines you’ll NEVER get back which means a potential $600k+ you’ll never see in your career to save a few dollars now.” I cant help but interpret that statement as dismissive of students financial concerns. It really sounds like- don’t worry about the money now, you’ll make it up later, assuming you get there. While opportunity costs are real, so is debt. I work in finance so this is something I can comment on.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but ATP training ranges from 60k-70k. If Sharon for example, plans to train full time, she’ll need to add another $40k (estimate) to the loan to be able to train full time to cover her day to day expenses (ie, rent, car, food, insurance, phone, etc) during training- for a year. Of course this depends on standard of living and if she decides not to work- which Chris stated would be very hard to do for a full time trainee.

After she gets the certification, she’s in debt roughly 100K. She’ll be making $25-$30/hr as a CFI- for two years at full time? This is where I see people get in trouble all the time- not with flight school- but in all types of higher learning costs. Simply put, $25 an hour is not enough to cover the loan payments on top of her regular living expenses discussed earlier. It takes a long time to get to 1500 hours and when you get hired as a regional, they start at a paltry wage as well. Albeit it’s increased compared to as a decade a go, but you’ll still start at 40K a year. Since you know about high costs of living, you would know that 40K a year is not enough to live in LA with all those expenses, at that CFI wage. She’ll most likely still have to have another job to help cover costs, which cut her available hours to instruct and build hours. My friend, the Hawaiian airline pilot I mentioned in my previous response, slept in a studio with two other pilots- for two years- to afford life after training.

Those sacrifices are real, and most importantly, not rare to hear or read about. I just think it’s important to state that there will be difficulties and that you’re not going to make 300K until you’ve flown 10-15 years plus. The struggle at the beginning can be and is overwhelming. Quite frankly, it can be nearly impossible to handle in a lot of individuals current financial standing. Now, in no way am I telling anybody who reads this thread that flight training is a waste. I’m just stating the obvious that it is expensive and you MUST have a plan on how to live during the few years it takes to become a six figure commercial pilot.

Sharon- my final piece of advice is to make a financial plan for your goals- year by year. Understand the loans/rates you’re going to need to fulfill this dream, understand the opportunity costs you’ll be losing/gaining short and long term, understand the payments you’ll be required to pay after training (combined with estimated COL), and determine how you’re going to do it all. That’s advice coming from an aspiring pilot that is sick of the finance industry.

Erick

3 Likes

Erick,

First off no disrespect taken. Differing opinions are just that. That said I believe it’s you who’s being dismissive. You ignored EVERYTHING I said regarding my level of sacrifice and even that of your friend who’s at Hawaiian. You say it’s “nearly impossible” but then talk about your friend struggling BUT succeeding. ATP placed over 500+ pilots at airlines in the last 12 mos and I promise you these were not all trust fund kids. MANY pilots tighten their belts, get themselves in debt etc because they feel it’s worth the investment in their future. While that may not be something you’re willing to do (or think is worth it, a good decision etc), clearly it is possible. As for the pay loss I state it solely to make sure people are taking everything into consideration when making their decision. Like it or not it’s a fact. The greatest single point you’re discounting (dismissing) is the assumption that an individual can do their training self-paced on their own time and somehow complete that training at the min required hours and are going to save tens of thousands of dollars. Many have tried (myself and Chris included) and most have found THAT to be nearly impossible. I recently met a young man who’d currently in for $25k and still hasn’t earned his PPL. There’s a reason why the airlines, the military and yes ATP train daily. Successful flight training requires continuity and while many pilots attempt to maintain some level of it AND a normal life, most (not all) again find that incredibly challenging if not impossible.

That’s my take and again these are decisions everyone needs to make for themselves. Peace Out.

Adam

1 Like

Erick,

Nobody is being dismissive of the hardships that are encountered during flight training. Adam has been simply pointing out that by delaying your training now to save money, you could potentially be missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars later on. You can justify taking a longer training path any way you want, but the airlines run strictly on seniority and those who get there first win, simple as that.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you all for the insightful advice! :smile:

I am thinking about borrowing money from my mom (at a lower interest rate lol) so I could do ATP for 9 months. Now, there are many things that I need to give up: my job, my own apartment (which means either getting a roommate or moving in with my parent again…), etc. But time is valuable, I really want to get this part over with. I have a Bachelor’s degree in business, not sure if that would help in terms of getting hired by major airlines.

Sharon

Sharon,

A bachelor’s degree is required for the major airlines, so it is get that you have one. My degree is in business as well.

Chris

Thank you all for the great info. I can definitely appreciate both sides of this & it is great to hear all these points. I will be turning 40 in about a week &, at my age, time is a HUGE factor for me with getting into the majors. Taking on a loan for $80k(ish) at my age is EXTREMELY terrifying, as there is always going to be some unknowns. However, if getting to the majors is truly what I want to do, all the research I’ve done circles back to ATP being the fast track to getting there. Could I go a less expensive route? Sure. But I would be sacrificing time & that is what I don’t have.

1 Like

Kimberly,

And that’s EXACTLY why I went with ATP and it was the best decision of my life. Are you planning on starting soon? You should be!

Adam

Kimberly,

Very well said.

Yes I am trying to get started ASAP. I was just reading your bio & it’s very refreshing to read that you started at 39. I’m currently doing an online ground school class & planning to start flying locally next month. I’m at 0 hours right now but working toward my PPL as I get the financing & move set up (moving is a must as there are no ATP schools here in Michigan). I’ve run into a few hiccups with the financing but still working it out & progressing forward. I do have my 1st class medical already, so that’s a positive :slight_smile: Goal is to start at ATP by May at the earliest, August at the latest.

Kimberly,

If you’re at zero hours I think you should seriously consider holding off and doing ALL you training with ATP from day 1. I appreciate you’re trying to get a jump but if you read my bio you know about the issues I had getting my PPL locally (as did Chris) and unfortunately that’s a very common theme. There’s a reason why the military, the airlines and YES ATP train daily. Flying skills are built one lesson upon the next and if you cannot commit to training very consistently (I’m talking 3-4 times a week) it can become a very frustrating and expensive endeavor costing you much more time and money than you had budgeted for. I’m sure you looked at the cost of ATP with and without the PPL and concluded you could get your PPL on your own and save some money. First off to start at ATP with credit for the PPL you need the license AND 80hrs of flight time. If you do the math on those 80hrs the price difference shrinks considerably and that’s IF you earn your PPL within those 80hrs. A bigger issue is while I’m sure your local flight school does a fine job ATP has a proven method of instruction that continues through every phase of the program. It’s much better to start off Day 1, doing things correctly and consistently than having to learn a different method after you start with ATP.

Ultimately you need to do what’s best for you Kimberly but I think you should give it some thought.

Adam