College Degrees while at a regional

Hello all! I’m now considering going to college to get my degree since major and legacys typically prefer that. Would it be better to do college while hired at a regional part time so i build my seniority / experience while getting a degree or should i do college first them go to flight school? What would be a better decision? Thank you!

Bryan,

If you’re young (under 22) we recommend you stay in school. If you’re older then flight school first.

Adam

Well im already in ground school and i start at ATP in july. Im 23 but im eager to start asap. From your experience, do you think its possible to do college while working at a regional? Part time college at least?

Im only going to college in case i really need it to get hired at a legacy or even a good private jet company.

Bryan,

That entirely depends on you. It’s definitely possible but it requires a fair amount of discipline. I know many pilots who have earned their degrees at the Regionals, but I also know many who wanted to but never did and found themselves stuck. You need to me honest with yourself and your capabilities.

That said since you’re already committed to start ATP in July then it’s kind of a moot point.

I am curious why you’re in ground school if you’re starting ATP? Are you working on your PPL?

Adam

Yeah its an online ground school. I wanna get at least my ppl written and instrument written over with beforehand so i could focus more on flying while im at ATP !

We generally recommend Sporty’s Study Buddy for the PPL and Sheppard Air for the IR, as most ground schools go a little too deep which is fine for knowledge but doesn’t really help with the exams.

If you want to be successful in the program you might want to the website and follow the recommendations.

Adam

Bryan,

The key to completing written exams is rote memory. I know it sounds crazy that we’re telling you not to learn ground school and just memorize the answers for the test, but believe us. ATP has an entire curriculum in place to make sure you have the ground knowledge you need to be successful. The tests are just a requirement by the FAA as a box to check. Rote memory is the fastest way to get the tests successfully completed quickly. The more tests you complete, the lighter you workload in the program so you can focus on learning the ground details to the highest level.

Hannah

1 Like

Bryan,

As the others have said, rote memorization is the way to completing the writtens with good scores and in a timely manner. You will have plenty of time to learn the “why” behind everything when you start your actual ground school and flight training. I can say that coming in with at least three writtens: PAR, IRA, CAX, will set you up for a great foundation for training.

Brady

1 Like

Bryan,

Checkout this link:

Chris

Awesome good to know! Thank you!