College Part Time while getting Private License

I’m currently enrolled in school part-time and will be part-time next spring as well. I was wondering if it was worth trying to get my private license while I go to school part-time and then once I graduate college finish the rest of my training. Or should I try to graduate with my degree as fast as possible and knock out all my flight training once I finish college?

Andrew,

Obviously it’s entirely up to you but I’d wait. If you’re really itching to fly then there’s nothing really wrong with getting your Private first. Just know that the best way to be successful in flight training is to be consistent. There’s a reason why the airlines and military train their pilots daily. Again your call but it will inevitably cost you more in time and money.

Adam

Yeah, I can wait. One of my biggest goals is to minimize my debt as possible while getting my education and other training completed. I just was wondering if the first scenario I offered would possibly save money. Thanks.

Andrew,

I would focus on finishing your college, then start flight training. Is it possible for you to go to college full time?

Chris

I am currently doing a program at my university that will allow me to get in-state tuition. The terms of the program are that I go to school part-time for two semesters while working a full-time job. Once the two-semester program is completed, I will able to go to school full time with in-state tuition. This will allow me to get my bachelors with less debt.

Andrew,

I’m doing part time school (mainly because it’s my last semester and there’s no more classes for me to take) and doing my flight training at the same time (finishing up my commercial single engine). It’s very doable, but like the mentors have said, stay consistent with training. It’s cheaper that way. Personally, knowing what I know now, I would finish flight training first than doing college online. The key to getting a decent quality of life, upgrading faster, and going on the majors is all about a time game.

Spending the next 4 years getting a bachelors degree could be devoted to getting to the airlines while getting a bachelors online once you’re at the regionals. Again, it’s completely up to you, but I rather be on the on the front end of a hiring wave instead of the back end. Could mean between sitting reserves for awhile or holding a line.

Again, not the most popular opinion, but that’s my take on it. Also, you’ll need a bachelors to get onto a major. That’s why I said to do it while you’re already in the cockpit of a regional jet.

Yuran

1 Like

I thought about going that route @dicianny, but I was kind of unsure about it. Once I complete this semester, I’ll need 85 credits to obtain my bachelors. I will definitely consider that route.

I did my private outside of ATP while I was working on full time and going to college. It took a about a year and a half. The biggest thing is being consistent and making sure you won’t run out of funds and have to take time off from flight training. The other struggle for me was the year between getting my private and started ATP. I had lost a bit of knowledge and had a bit of refreshing to do what I got here. If you want to fly, by all means make it happen. But focusing on college and then jumping into an accelerated program is another very good option.

Yeah I definitely want to be consistent with training. I guess the options that I am considering is finish school completely and then do my flight training, or do one or two more years of school, head to flight training, and then finish the rest of my degree online while working at a regional.

Andrew,

The second path you mentioned is by far the fastest way into the airlines.

Chris

Andrew,

The 2yrs, flying, then finish school is definitely the most expeditious route to the airlines. The only caveat is college online while flying requires a fair amount of discipline. I know people who have been successful and others who have not. Honestly assess yourself and if you believe you can, then do, if not finish school first.

Adam

1 Like

I know @dicianny mentioned the hiring wave above. I obviously would rather be on the front end of a hiring wave rather be on a back end of one.

Andrew,

Fortunately the wave is forecast to continue for a while but that “front end” passed about 1.5-2 years ago.

Adam

I feel like the best option for me will be to finish up one more year of school so I can meet ATP’s 60 credit hour requirement, and then start my flight training and finish the rest of my degree while I work at a regional. Thanks for all the advice!

No problem, glad we were able to help. Let us know what other questions you have.

Chris