Is online school a good option?

I am currently a senior in high school and I am in the process of getting my private pilot’s license. I am really enjoying my training and I would like to pursue a career in aviation. I was hoping I could get some feedback on a plan that I have laid out and whether there are any loopholes in it. My plan is as follows:

1. After high school, I plan to take an online computer science program to earn my associates degree at a local community college. During this time I will also be working and saving up money.
  2. After I earn my degree I plan to earn my commercial, instrument, multi, CFI, and CFII ratings at flight school (Probably at ATP).
  3. After Flight school I plan to instruct and build up flight hours as well as continue online school and transfer credits to earn my bachelor’s degree in computer science. When I have my four year degree and enough flight hours to fly for a major airline I would like to start flying at the regional level and then continue to work my way up.

Any thoughts and comments on my career plan would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get some second opinions.

Drew,

There are many routes to an airline career and the best route is the one that works best for YOU. Ideally I’d rather see you go to college full-time and focus on your studies but I also understand and appreciate many people need to work so part-time or online college is a good compromise. Obviously working, college AND flight training will put quite a bit on your plate and is not the fastest or most efficient route to a pilot career but again you have to do what’s best for you.

Adam

Drew,

I like your plan and think it is really well thought out. The only issue is that you will not be able to continue taking college classes while you are flight instructing, you will just be too busy for that. You will most likely need to wait until you are employed at a regional to resume your college studies.

Chris