College

Are you required to go to a four year college to become a pilot for a airline

Dylan,

You do not need to go to college to work for the regionals, but if you want to work for the major airlines someday, you will absolutely need a four year degree from a reputable university. The field of study doesn’t really matter.

Chris

Chris,

Would you recommend going to a college like Embry-riddle and getting the degree or going straight to ATP .

Dylan

Dylan,

I tend to stay away from the aviation universities for two reasons. First of all, they are incredibly costly. Secondly, they do not give you a backup plan if for some reason aviation does not work out for you.

I recommend going to college, completing your four year degree in something that interests you, and then attending a fast paced flight training program, like ATP.

The other possible route is to go to community college, get your associate’s degree, go to flight school and then return to college online while you are working for the airlines to complete your degree.

I prefer the first route, but some people want to get in the air a bit sooner.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Dylan

Chris,

One more question, what if I’m really interested in aviation would I be able to go to ATP and then take online classes when I get out of ATP while I’m instructing

Dylan

Dylan,

You would not be able to take online classes while you are instructing, you simply won’t have time for it and you will need to be preparing for airline interviews. However, as soon as you finish training at a regional, you would be able to start online classes then.

I do strongly encourage the four straight years of college route. It doesn’t get you flying as quickly, but to me it seems so much easier to just stay in school and complete your education, then focus on flying.

Chris

Chris makes a good point about starting and stopping college. I started while on active duty. Then had to stop when I was going to different training, again when I got out and, when I had to get a second job I had to stop again. I really don’t even want to go back but if it’s the difference between being a regional versus major airline pilot…I’ll suck it up and finish. Chris, you said a reputable university, do you have any idea if the airlines would consider (AMU) American Military University would be considered reputable?

Jeremy,

I can tell you that they do.

Adam

Thanks Adam