Color Vision ATP

Hi,
I am currently in possession of a first class medical. It took some doing to get the medical because of my mild red green deficiency. I would take the FALANT with an optometrist and consistently miss 3 when I could only miss 2 and pass. Perseverance won out and I was able to pass, obtain a LOE to give to my AME who approved me for 1st class. I am about to start ATP flight school, but I’m a little concerned. In 3 areas.

1. What areas of the training program (occupation) require color vision acuity.
  2. Is there any way I could find examples of these situations so that I can
    see ahead of time whether they would present a problem?
  3. Do airlines conduct their own medicals in which color vision is tested?

Its my understanding that red green and white lights help determine other craft’s orientation, and beacon. Also runways without comm systems may need to use runway and tower signals( both of which to my understanding are seldom if ever used.)

It’s my dream to do this. If anyone has any information. I would be more than appreciative.

Noah,

As long as you have an UNRESTRICTED First Class Medical you’ll be fine. Unless of course the LOE you obtained was not legit and then you’ll have a problem.

Flying is serious business and people will be placing their lives in your hands. Whether something is “seldom used” or not, when the time comes you had better be able to perform or the consequences could be dire. The people who are entrusting their lives to you don’t really care of its you’re “dream”, only that you’re a capable pilot.

Adam

Hi Adam,
I agree completely. I legitimately obtained my cert, but as I said it took a couple tries. I want to make sure that my mild colorblindness will not be an issue or put anyone at risk. That’s why I made this post.

Noah,

I really do not know how to answer this as only you know exactly what you can see and not see. In general, green is used for taxiway centerline lights and being cleared to land from the tower via a light gun signal. Red is far more prevalent and is used to light gun signals, runway lights, VASI and PAPI lights, etc. I recommend doing some research into those lighting configurations and seeing what you can see or not. Also, a night flight at your local flight school would probably a rather prudent idea, that way you can really out yourself to the test.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I know I can generally make out aircraft lights, though when they are very far away I can’t. I have absolutely no problem identifying PAPI. Never really seen the light gun signals. I have no problem at all seeing runway and taxi lights. I know I have passed the color exam, I just want to be thorough before spending 100k and starting a career. I’ll look into requesting a night flight.

Noah,

Make sure on that night flight that you go to a large airport that has a control tower. Land, taxi and stop at a point on the taxiway, ask the controller to shoot the light gun at you, they will be happy to do this. Also, take some time to look at the runway and taxiway markings. Make sure it is really dark, not dusk.

Chris

Hi Noah,

I’m in the exact same situation. For your LOE, Is there an available format somewhere that I could take to the optometrist to fill out?

Chris,

You could reach out to an AME and inquire about a form, if it is required. I did a quick Google search for “Color Vision Flight Test” and came back with an FAA article:

Again, I’d reach out to an AME.

Brady

Perfect!! Thank uou!