1st Class Medical Colorblind Issues

My name is Bulut, I’m 22 and I’ve been wanting to become a pilot since I was really young. I have a 2 year Mechanical Engineering Tech degree. I have finally started the steps to becoming a pilot and hoping to join ATP soon. During my first class medical I didn’t pass the colorblind section so my 1st class says “Not valid for night flying or by color signal control.” My doctor said to me I have a green deficiency but can see it fine and that the book test wasn’t fair. He said to take the OCVT and the MFT and it’ll come off permanently and he also said he knew I could pass them, once again stating the book is unfair. I have seen the light beams from the tower before when my friend took the test- he took me along. I was able to see the Green, White and Red lights just fine. The MFT I’ve read and seen pictures and stuff on forums and it’s all stuff I can easily see and tell apart. Does ATP assist students with the OCVT and MFT or do I have to do an OCVT on my own at my local tower and then do a MFT with ATP? I’m not sure how the process exactly works for this. Thank you and I look forward to all the advice so I can hopefully continue my path in becoming a pilot

Bulut,

Welcome to the forum. ATP does not in any way work in the medical certification field. You will need to work with your AME and the local Flight Standards District Office of the FAA to resolve this issue. You could also schedule a consult with this group: https://www.aviationmedicine.com They are the experts on all such things, it will cost some money, but I think they are worth it.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you, I will start reading into them. At this rate I’m willing to do anything to get the career I want for life

Bulut,

This is another great resource.

Color Restriction Removal - AOPA

Hope this helps!

Hannah

I went thru this for my PPL. I recall I 1st had to obtain permission from Oaklahoma City AMCD/ CAMI to contact my local FSDO, then arrange an appointment with the FSDO for an examiner to conduct the OCVT at a local airport. All that was involved in the actual test was to identify the red/ white/ green light signals at some distance from the tower.
The Ishihara color plates that the AME uses to test color vision are much, much, much more sensitive to any deficiancies in color vision vs the OCVT. From what you describe, you should be fine.

Good morning,

I have a question regarding airman medical certificates. If my first class airman medical certificate got denied by the FAA in the first place based on disqualifying medical conditions, will it still be easy for me to get approved in the future if I am able to prove to them that my medical condition has changed? I know that whenever I apply for an airman medical certificate or submit new evaluation reports, the FAA will always review it again. However, is there anything that would make them change their determination?

William,

If your situation or condition has changed you can of course reapply. Speak with your AME and most important have supporting documents from your doctor to support the change.

Adam

William,

As Adam said, you need to speak directly with your AME who specializes in the medical field for aviation. If they can’t give you the answer, they will more likely refer you to OKC. Make sure to have any supporting documentation that would benefit your case.

Brady