Correct pathway to become an airline pilot

Hello! My name is Eraj jayaweera and im 20 years old. I finished my london ordinary levels and im looking to start my career in aviation. BUT there’s this problem which popped up recently on my mind. Many people and friends started telling me that i need a bachelors degree in order to get into an airline. I searched in the internet and it says you don’t and do need a bachelors degree. Im from sri lanka and i plan to visit to usa in order to start my career in a flight school. But due to this degree idea. I thought of doing an associates degree first in a college and then transfer to a university for the next two years. I know this whole process is a long shot and needs A HUGE financial commitment but still im up for the task. Flying was on my head since the age of 5 and I don’t want to give up that easy. So thats why i thought of doing an associates degree first and then join a flight school. As far as i know i should complete ppl, IR, cpl, multi engine rating , cfi , cfii and atpl. But is a degree really worth it? I should spend around $60000 for my bachelors and then over $60000 for flight training. I have no idea of how to find the money so please help me. What should i do in order to end up in an airline? I can take it step by step so is a degree really worth spending money and doing it or should i just go for a flight school? What should i follow in a flight school? And what kind of degree should i major in if i’m to do it. Please do help me if any one see this. I have no idea of what to do next. Thank you

Eraj,

I recommend you spend some time reading the many posts on this forum as they will answer all your questions. Keep in mind to flight train in the US you first need a very thorough TSA background check and to work as a pilot here you need either citizenship or permanent resident status.

Adam

Hello adam!

Okay thank you. I will definitely check the posts. And i do not plan to work as a pilot in the USA. I want to go back to sri lanka with the license and stuff. Join sri lankan airlines or a regional airline. Adam someday i hope to be a pilot mentor like you guys. I wish to wear that uniform and guide students like me who are puzzled in what to do. I really am looking forward to it but i feel so let down. Everything is chaos and not going according to plan.

Eraj,

If that’s the case I would contact the airlines in Sri Lanka. Many foreign carriers have cadet programs that will take you from zero experience and have little or no cost.

Adam