Possible paths

Hey everyone I’m currently a senior in high school and I want to be an airline pilot. There are many ways that I know of. I don’t really want to go to an aviation university it’s expensive and all the schools that have a program I’m not super interested in. So here are some of the things I thinking. Go to a college and do Aviation on the side at a part 61 program well doing college. Another is going to school during the winter and then in the summer or while not at school do training. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thank you!

Gavin,

I completely agree that aviation universities are a waste but I would take care of school first and then focus on your flight training after.

Effective flight training relies on consistency. There’s a reason the airlines and the military train their pilots daily. Because it’s the most effective and efficient route. Even if you opt to just get your 2yr degree, then do the flight training, then finish up online. Get your education taken care of first.

Adam

Gavin,

Adam answered your question exactly how I would. Even though it seems logical to knock out a rating here or there when you can around school, it’s not recommended. You’ll spend much more money and make less forward progress. Flight training is best done in one consistent training block. Wait until you’ve got your degree and ready to solely pursue flying to begin any training.

Hannah

Thank you. Ok so you recommend education whether it’s a 4 year degree bachelors degree or a 2 year degree then start training. Also I have my ppl already so what do you recommend for when I’m in college to stay proficient.

Gavin,

Just keep flying. Obviously you could work on your Instrument rating but again training part time is very inefficient. Your call.

Adam

Gavin,

Since you already have your Pilot Private Certificate, I would just keep flying and building your skills. If you’re deciding to train during college, make sure to have flexibility in your schedule because there may be days you have to fly if you can’t do it during a ‘scheduled day’. I don’t thing being a collegiate athlete and trying to take classes would be beneficial to you. The other consideration is making sure that you have access to a similar during your training because the days that are bad weather, you can do ground and simulator sessions. Most importantly, focus on your classwork first for college and get good grades, they will help you in the long run.

No matter what, the best choice for you is the one you see fit. If you think you can handle college and flying, go for it. If you feel it would be best to get 2 years of college, then attend a program like ATP, then go that route. It ultimately comes down to what you see doable and capable of doing.

Brady