Current and Former Students, Please Check In

Hi Chris,

I’m a current student in CT working on my private certificate. I’m in the stage which is close to my check ride right now. Unfortunately I changed school once from New York (KHPN) to Connecticut (KOXC) because of the deficiency of instructors and the busyness of the airport. I had 3 hours training in the a certified simulator which is logged as AATD in my logbook at first school. Does is count to 3hours instrument time for my practical test? Because the second school tried to ask me do the 3hours instrument again.
By the way, the weather here in Northeast is really bad, either gusty or low visibility. I’m searching for a location with better weather in April for my instrument training. Do you have recommendation for the area which allows to fly everyday?
Thank you in advance!

Lisa

Lisa,

Have you asked your instructors why they want you to take the additional 3hrs in the sim? Perhaps they feel you need to brush up on your skills?

As far as the weather goes not sure if you’ve looked but the weather is pretty gnarly all across the US. That said I’m pretty sure the weather will improve everywhere by April.

Adam

1 Like

The other question is what did the instructor work with you in the sim? If you did not do any simulated IFR conditions you will need to.

Lisa,

Did you complete the 3 hours required instrument training in an aircraft as well or just log three hours in the AATD? Looking at the FARs, it appears that you can only credit sim time if it was received with an instructor in an FTD or FMS. An AATD would not count. Take a look at 61.109(k).

Of course, your instructor and staff have the final say. I’m just trying to point you towards the regulation that covers this subject.

Good luck, Trey

1 Like

Trey,

Thank you for your information. I’m going to call the examiner on Monday and clarify the issue.

Best,
Lisa

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message. There is 3h instrument time required by PPL Checkride. It’s not clear whether the sim time counts to the 3h instrument time. Anyway, i’ll call the examiner to clarify on Monday.

Thank you!
Lisa

Checking in here. Current student at the FXE location. Started on July 16th 2018 and passed my Commercial Multi-Engine yesterday! Scheduled for my SE add on this coming Tuesday then off to CFI school at DAB on the 25th.

About 6 1/2 months in! Good timing :smiley:

1 Like

Justin were you starting from Zero or with Private credit?

Also congrats on passing the Comm ME.

Justin,

Congratulations and welcome to the world of professional aviation. Just a few more check rides and you will actually be getting paid to fly :slight_smile:

Chris

Hello everyone!

I just posted an in-depth update on what I’ve been doing, currently doing, and hope to be doing in the future here “Flying” through the program

To summarize;
I was a student at the Atlanta FFC location from June 2017-December 2017,
Instructor at the same location from December 2017-August 2018,
and am now a First Officer for a Corporate flight department.
I still intend on going to a regional sometime next year!

Noah L

1 Like

I was one of the last self paced students ATP had. I went to the GKY location from Setember 2015 - March 2017. I went to CFI school at LZU and received my sign off for the ground portion but could not get signed off for the flight portion so I never became a CFI. I ferried Cessna 172/182s across the country for a dealer for about a couple months before I became an F.O. for Great Lakes Airlines in Denver. I rode that job until I was furloughed at 578 hours in March of 2018. I was hired by a 135 Charter literally right down the road from my house in April 2018 to fly a Citation II (C550). Two weeks ago I finished my second type rating for the same company and have a PIC type rating for the Citation 500 series and Citation 650 series. Sitting at just over 800 hours total time in my log book. Currently unsure of my next move at the moment. I currently make more than most regional FOs and unlike most pilots I hardly ever spend a night away from the family so quality of life is amazing right now.

1 Like

Hey guys, been a while since I checked in. I’m currently flying as a First Officer on the Embraer 135/145 at Contour Airlines, and I am based in my home state of West Virginia. Today I got to fly a jet that (like all our others) Chris and Adam most likely have spent some time flying. This one is at my base temporarily and is normally used for charters so it is still in the colors Expressjet flew it with! You guys ever remember flying her? N16502

3 Likes

Kamrin,

I flew every tail Xjt had including 16502. The 135 was a little rocket, only problem was you had to make sure the brakes didn’t heat up. I’ve heard great things about Contour. I believe you’re working for Scot McB? If you see him tell him I said aloha!

Adam

2 Likes

After flying the 145 only for a month the sports car feeling of the 135 was a nice change. We definitely have heated the brakes up on some shorter runways Haha. I think theres 2 xjet 135s left in the desert that we havemt revived yet. I’m sure they’ll be here soon. Scot and I are working together a lot and we will both be heading to the ALPA Air Safety forum next month for the jumpseat meetings and to represent contour. Will you be there?

1 Like

Absolutely not! While I’m enjoying my role in the Union I abhor meetings (particularly formal national ones that have dress codes). Our guy Matt will be there. You both can talk about important subjects that must be addressed bla bla bla and admire each others ties… I’m yawning just thinking about it :wink:

Adam

Matt seems like a cool guy! Spent about an hour talking to him about a month ago. I’m not too excited for the dress code, but hopefully I can learn enough that week to make up for having to dress up. :joy:

Kamrin,

That is pretty neat. Nice to see a 135 still out there flying!

Chris

Adam,

As an update, matt sure did have have a nice tie. But no, really, this was one of the greatest learning experiences of my young career. I met so many people, learned so much, and made great progress in my company’s relationships with other airlines. While the dress code was not the best, it was an overall great experience that I look forward to repeating next year. I had the please of meeting some of the most renowned aviators in our airline history and hearing their individual stories as well as learning more about the in depth procedures that allow our airlines to run the way they do without major issues.

Given that my company is non union, much less non ALPA, they welcomed me with open arms and made it a great experience!

Glad to hear.

Just remember Alpa is always looking for future converts…I mean members! :wink:

Adam

Hello, everyone, my name is Oumar Thiam I’m from Africa in Senegal but I’m in the United States of America, Brooklyn, NY, I’m in high school 11th grade and also I’m 19 years old so my goal is to be a pilot. This is my dream since I was 10 years old, so now I’m asking everybody how I can start to be a pilot professional?