Daily life

Hey guys,

I’m interested in starting ATP this winter after I get my bachelors. I was wondering if anyone could speak to what the day to day is like. I know the schedule, but was curious about what kind of homework is done, and if there is any down time on the weekends to get a part time job.

Josiah,

The day to day can vary greatly. Some days will be mostly flying, other days will be mostly simulator work and others will be ground school. Of course many days will be a mix of all three. There isn’t homework in the traditional sense, but there will be quite a bit of self study to be done. This is a highly condensed program, essentially all of your free time will be take up by studying. You will not be able to work any sort of job while in the program.

Chris

Josiah,

This is America and you can do as you like. That said ATP compresses years worth of training into only 9mos. Bust a few checkrides and you not only lose the guaranteed instructor job but it will mpact your entire career. There are many people who give 100% to the program and still struggle. There are no laws against you working part-time but many have tried and failed miserably. Your call.

Adam

Josiah,

Each day will be a little different. It could be any combination of ground, sim, flying and independent study. The ACPP is a full time commitment. Weekends off are not guaranteed. I don’t advise anyone to work on the weekend. Those that have tried were not successful.

Tory

So is there a Day by Day outline somewhere? Like how structured will it be?

Day 1 is… Day 2 is… Day 3 is… Day 4 is make up or time building day…

I’d like to see how structured it is.

Darrell,

If you go on ATPs website there’s a timeline but you need to understand training is dynamic and can be affected by everything from weather to the pace an individual learns. So no there isn’t a hard schedule that covers the entire 270+ days.

Adam

1 Like

It won’t always be followed perfectly but once you have a set start date and put your deposit down, you will have access to your Program Outline on your ATP extranet. This is about as close as it gets to day by day. It has every phase within each rating listed out as well as associated flight/sim hours and approximate dates to “stay on track”. Have to treat it more like timeline “expectation” than hard timeline though because of all the variables associated with flying.

1 Like

Darrell,

There is a syllabus, and it’s somewhat linear, but not always. The instructor has the freedom to adjust the syllabus, within reason, to maximize their students’ progress. You won’t find a day-to-day schedule like the one you described. It’s a self-study program and everyone, for the most part, starts day one at different times. So, each day is custom tailored to fit the instructor’s workload. The students need to be flexible.

Tory

1 Like

That’s what I am referring to. But we can’t see it until we pay our deposit. No problem. Thanks.