Days 1-2 at ATP

Just got done with my first 2 days at ATP in Jacksonville. My experience so far has been great. On day 1 yesterday, I checked in and had my medical and written test report scanned in (I have only taken the PAR so far… didn’t have time to do the rest due to working full time before and the holidays). We got a brief tour of the facilities which are amazing at this location. There are plenty of study rooms, a simulator area, 2 break rooms, maintenance center etc. We then did a ground lesson and went outside to do a pre-flight inspection. I didn’t get to fly on day 1. I did do a simulator lesson though which was cool. This morning (day 2) I got to do my first flight. We focused on fundamentals (straight and level flight, climbs, descents, turns) since I am starting from zero time. It was amazing, weather was beautiful and we got to fly over the ocean for a bit. Once we landed we did about an hour of ground going over various topics and my instructor gave me some tips on how to study and stay on track/ get ahead. I actually have 2 flights scheduled tomorrow, which is great because I want to fly as much as possible.
I am also doing student housing here, which is way better than I expected. The apartments here are very well maintained. My roommates have been keeping the place clean, which is a big plus. For $800/mo, you really can’t ask for anything better. I just thought I would post in here to let everyone know how i’ve been doing, hopefully some people who are thinking about training with ATP can get an idea of what to expect on the first few days. Ill post every once in a while and give updates on my progress. Now back to studying haha :nerd_face: :small_airplane: :blue_book:

8 Likes

Andy,
Glad to hear everything is going so well for you so far! You’re enthusiasm really shines through. Sounds like you’ve found something you really love. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It will not only help students to come know what to expect on their first few days but also give those who are still on the fence an inside look on what it’s like to be a student at ATP. Have fun, keep up your studying and continue to keep us updated. We look forward to hearing about your first solo. It will be here before you know it!
-Hannah

1 Like

Andy,

I am glad it is going well and that you are enjoying the experience so far. Remember that ground school, studying and simulator work are every bit as important as the flying is, perhaps even more so.

Thank you for the update, please keep them coming.

Chris

1 Like

Hey, Andy! It’s good to hear from you!

It sounds like you’re all settled in and off to a great start. That’s what we like to hear!

Tory

1 Like

Doing TOLs this week. With each pattern Im getting better and better. Ive also started to make radio calls as well. This is the most fun part of my training so far! Im starting to feel like an actual pilot haha

2 Likes

Andy,
That’s awesome! In the beginning the focus is on flying the patterns. If you’re already adding in radio calls, you must be doing well! Chase that greaser… Enjoy it! :slight_smile:
-Hannah

1 Like

Andy,

How are those landings coming? Are you currently flying the Archer or 172?

Chris

1 Like

Well today I got to experience how a crosswind affects everything. My takeoffs feel good, but approach and landing need work. With calm winds it’s so much easier haha.

I’m in the Cessna 172. Garmin 430 gps with 6 pack. My landings are ok, I’d say I have a tendency to round out too early or too late sometimes. My 2nd flight yesterday afternoon I had a few good ones with very little input from my instructor. Today it was a lot more challenging. Different airport, crosswinds and some bigger planes coming in towards the end.

Andy,

I still think through all of my landings ahead of time and certainly have my good and not so good landings. It will all come in time. Stick with it.

Chris

1 Like

Andy,

One trick I’ve learned, and it seems to help a lot of my students that come to me with landing concerns is - where are your eyes when you’re in the roundout phase of landing? If they’re not looking to at least the end of the runway you’re not transitioning the plane right. I’ve been getting students that struggle with landings in stage check flights and once I have them start to transition their eyes not just to the end of the runway, but into the treeline it helps them keep a good positive nose attitude ensuring that the mains will touch down at minimum controllable airspeed, and if your approach at appropriate speed (in your case Cessna) is spot on over the numbers, you will have minimal float. Give transitioning your eyes further down the runway to horizon, and slightly above a chance. Hope this landing tip helps.

Brady

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Ill keep that in mind for my TOL flight tomorrow morning. Didn’t get to fly today due to low ceiling and winds so just did a ground lesson for an hour.