Do airlines mind if I build a large amount of flight time by renting airplane?

I am a CFI/CFII and Commercial Multi pilot with around 390 total flight time. I took a four years college with aviation degree and earned all my certificate and rating at college so I am qualified for 1000 hours R-ATP. (ASU program at KIWA location, you know if you know it)

The CFI job market is still very hard. I really can’t find an appropriate job before I graduate from college. Seniority is everything on airline. So I am planning to build flight hours by renting airplane with my friends.

I have access to some really cheap airplanes so the cost of doing this is reasonable. Also I just need to build 600 hours which is not a lot. The only concern I got is airline interview. Do airlines mind if I am doing this and without any previous aviation work experience?

I don’t want to spend those money and can’t get into airline in the future.
Any airline pilot, recruiter, and HR here could answer my question?

Thanks in advance!

Ian,

I would disagree that the CFI job market is very hard, I see advertisements for CFI position all the time. There might be an issue if you are applying for part time jobs, most places want full time CFIs.

I do think an airline will ask why you were not able to find employment as a pilot. Think about it, they are considering employing you, but you will not have worked as a pilot for anybody else first, that looks odd to an airline.

I do not think there is anything wrong with some of your flight time coming via renting, but a good chunk of it should come through employment.

Chris

Ian,
The 1000hrs isn’t just to pad your logbook with some time, it’s to truly gain experience to help you prepare for the career ahead. Recruiters want to see you using that time to grow as a pilot. You should use that CFII and Multi to build your time. As a CFII, you would keep your instrument knowledge sharp (since you have to teach it) and stay IFR proficient. The multi time would be great too. You’re headed to the 121 world with all multi engine jets, the more multi time you have, the better. That’s the most valuable time for the airlines to see in your logbook. Now renting here or there for fun flights to add some time is not a problem, but don’t rely on it as a means for time building. You need to find a CFI position or some kind of surveying work that would utilize your multi engine rating.
-Hannah

Ian,

I’d be more concerned with getting through training then getting hired. There’s a pilot shortage so if you’ve got the time chances are you’ll get hired. The problem becomes once you start training, if the bulk of your flight time was built getting $200 hamburgers with your friends and your Instrument skills are less than stellar you could find yourself with nothing more than a really good story about how you were almost an airline pilot.

Adam

Thanks for your reply Chris

I need to build some of my flight time by myself anyhow. Since I can’t start my CFI job before my graduation. Otherwise I won’t keep my proficiency and my flight skills will be rusty. Do airlines care about this part? May they ask me “Why do you fly 300 hours by yourself” ?

Ian,

I think that would be fine.

Chris

I don’t think anyone would feel the need to bring up your time building hours unless you’re struggling in training.

Tory