Dream job at a major US Airline....but a DUI in my history

I have seen this question many times and I believe i know the answer.

My dream was to work at one of the major airlines. Instead, I got my masters degree and went into the business world. Now, almost 34 years old, I have realized there is still time to do what I would love to do and work my way up to the major airlines as a captain.

I have done my research, and it hit me…I got a DUI back in 2009 right when I got my masters degree. From what I read, this is a killer of my dream to work for a major airlines, while other answers have led me to believe that it will be VERY hard but not impossible.

I have nothing on my record aside from the DUI back in 2009, I almost never drink nowadays, and aside from a speeding ticket back in 2005, my record has been clean since the DUI when I was 24.

Is the dream of become a captain at a major airline now a pipedream, or is there still some chance at making it to he majors if do everything in my power to be the best pilot at a regional airline and continue my clean record?

Thanks again and I apologize for adding to this reoccurring question.

Shawn,

As you said this question gets asked far to often and the reason you can’t find the definitive answer you’re looking for is because there isn’t one. DUI’s are serious offenses which is why the FAA specifically asks about them on your medical application. I know pilots who have been hired with one and those who have been passed over. What I can tell you is IF that is (and remains) you’re only offense you’ve got a shot and it’s not an immediate disqualifier. The thing is when it comes to getting hired things become very subjective. If you have compassionate folks on the panel it could go in your favor, get a pilot who’s had a family member injured or killed by a drunk driver and you’re done.

The reality is there are no guarantees that any pilot will make it to the Majors ever which is why I always ask people if they would be happy flying for a Regional for their entire careers? If the answer is no then you might need to give it some thought.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you Adam. That is a great reply. I never thought of a career in Regional airlines so i think my research needs to steer in that direction since that may be as far as an aviation career goes. I suppose if I a believe I would be happy with that route, I will begin training with ATP. Thanks for your reply, it is in fact a clear answer and makes it easier for me to decide on how to approach this career.

Shawn,

There was a time when I would have said this would be an absolute career killer, but it seems as though some of the airlines have softened their stance on this in recent years. The good news is that your infraction is ten years old and that you have shown a consistent pattern of good behavior since then. You will certainly need to explain this someday, but my suspicion is that you will be able to overcome this.

Chris

1 Like