Education and Flying Advice

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and am looking for advice on a college degree and flight desire conflict. For a college bachelor’s degree, I would like to study criminal justice. On the other hand, I would also like to go to flight school and possibly fly commercially. What are the chances of me being able to have both of these and still landing a job with a major or regional airline? All answers will help. Thanks in advance,

Joshua.

Hey Josh,

Definitely possible. Depends on what you want your timeline to look like. I got my Bachelors in Criminology & Anthropology and did ATP flight school afterward, and now I am an FO at Southwest Airlines. Not sure where you’re at in life (age, studies, employment), but there are a lot of different ways to achieve both. Good luck to you!

1 Like

Joshua,

I see absolutely no problem with your plan. The vast majority of airline pilots do not have aviation degrees, I certainly do not. The major airlines just want to see a degree, they are not terribly concerned with the major.

Chris

Hey Joshua!

As someone who majored in Criminal Justice and is now pursuing flight training, I can tell you that there’s nothing wrong with doing both. After college I spent a short time at the Sheriff’s Office, and am now looking into my state’s Highway Patrol Aviation Unit as a possible option after I get my certificates. If Law Enforcement and Aviation are two things you’re interested in, combining both could be an excellent option for you as most state’s have some form of aviation unit.

If you’re more keen towards working at a Major someday, they don’t care what you studied! As long as you’ve put the time in and received your diploma, you’ve checked that box.

Hey Chris,
I ave a question for you, I’m planning on attending Embry Riddle in Daytona fall of 2019. I chose Aeronautical science and I want to learn how to fly to get to the airlines. something that has been worrying me is if I would be able to find a job after graduation. There is a lot of people hoping I fail and the stress has been packing on up me. I know I will love aviation. I’m just scared I won’t be able to find a job and I stay in debt

Andrea,

If you’re successful in training and the industry stays where it is (which it’s predicted to) you should have no problem finding a job. That said and as is the theme of this thread, the airlines don’t really care what kind of degree you have. Many people dream of flying but not all end up as pilots. Some it’s a choice (they discover it’s something they don’t really enjoy) and others it’s circumstance (some issue that prevents them from getting or keeping a medical). You say you “know” you will love aviation but until you do it the fact is you don’t.

Riddle is a fine university and no one can question they do an excellent job. My concern would not be finding work after you graduate and build your time, it would simply be that you’re putting all your eggs in the aviation basket.

Adam

Andrea,

If you’re having doubts, I would advise not enrolling at Embry Riddle. That’s a huge commitment and a high price tag. Perhaps you’d feel more comfortable obtaining your PPL before enrolling in a career program?

To your other concern, Regional airline jobs are abundant and should be for at least two more decades.

Tory