Enrolled - Long Beach Location

Hello!

I just enrolled today for start date of 05/20/19 at the Long Beach location, looking to get in touch with anyone else at that location, send me a message if you’re enrolled.

About me, I was born and raised in LA, went to Cal State Long Beach and have a degree in accounting. I am a career changer, I’ve been in the accounting/admin field for the last 13 years and took my first flight last summer 2018 and haven’t stopped thinking about flying since. I’m in a relationship with a commercial aviator so I have a solid mentor there, i also have a wonderful little dog. No kids, not married, not planning on those things either.

I’ve already experienced challenges and obstacles in this journey, no surprise there, It’s not an easy path to follow, surely I will continue to experience this and will have to continue to remain open minded and flexible. From completely over booked start dates at the Long Beach Location in March, then April, to issues with family accepting this decision, to problems with financing, to an epic internal struggle with leaving a completely cushy job and going from making a decent living to making no money while being a student, the challenges just keep coming and I’m all up for them. I trust everything will be OK, probably better than OK. There’s a lot of joy involved in this journey too, so everything balances out beautifully.

I’ll be looking for housing outside of ATP’s housing option I have a small dog and they don’t allow dogs, understandable. If anyone has any recommendations, send that my way, looking for a roommate/roommates also :grinning:

Thx!

Lili

Congrats Lili on the big decision and your new direction. I did not train at the LB location but flew into there once during my crew phase…it’s a nice Airport with a lot going on.

Because you have some time, I recommend trying to take as many of the FAA written tests as possible before you start. You will thank yourself later.

Best wishes, Trey

I’m one of the people who filled up march dates :grimacing:. I would try to find connections through Airbnb that way you can see reviews for the host, if I diddnt get atp housing it’s what I would use. Had done this before if your renting out many months I would imagine they would give you a discount. (They will cancel other people reservation if they see you will rent for many months) so I would just start messaging people. Issue I see is when you go cross country you will need someone to watch your dog.

appreciate the recommendation - I felt like I “fell behind” when I was told the March and April start dates were full but I think studying and taking those tests will alleviate some of that guilt

haha! thx for pushing my career back a couple months! jk - Congrats on enrollment, how pumped are you?! I didn’t even consider airbnb as a possible housing option. I had to think about my dog when I made this decision and the thought of leaving him with someone else for up to 8 weeks, as stated on the ATP website, was a challenging thought. I’ll need to be creative when the time comes, good thing my dog Boulder is a super chill guy, he will support me in my goals