Envoy Training Outline 2023 - Roscoe

Hey all!

I recently completed new hire training at Envoy, so I thought that I would share my timeline and experience with the training department. Just for some background, I interviewed and accepted a position in Envoy’s cadet program in April of 2022. I finished my 1500 hours instructing for ATP in November 2022, and my date of hire (for seniority) with Envoy was late December 2022. My class of 40+ was entirely new hire cadet instructor FO’s and all were awarded the E175 and their choice of base. Here is the timeline of my training:

HQ - Envoy Headquarters DFW

January 2023

23 - INDOC (HQ)
24 - INDOC (HQ)
25 - INDOC (HQ)
26 - INDOC (HQ)
27 - INDOC (HQ): FOM/Indoc Quiz
28 - OFF
29 - OFF
30 - OFF
31 - OFF

February 2023

Because I was in the last third of my class seniority-wise, I was split into the third group for long-term training, meaning I had two weeks off to work on our computer based training (CBT). I actually found this really helpful because it gave me additional time to review the FOM, AOM, and flows before starting aircraft specific training.

1 - OFF/CBT

12 - OFF/CBT
13 - SPC (HQ): Special Curriculum Training/ Security Awareness/ HAZMAT
14 - SPC (HQ): Special Curriculum Training/ Security Awareness/ HAZMAT
15 - OFF/CBT

19 - OFF/CBT: CBT at home test once you have completed all of the modules
20 - SYS 1 (HQ): Aircraft specific systems training to review your CBT
21 - SYS 2 (HQ)
22 - SYS 3 (HQ)
23 - FMS Lab (HQ)
24 - CPT Prep Day (HQ)
25 - OFF
26 - OFF
27 - CPT 1: Cockpit Procedures Training on a stationary digital flight training device (flows, approaches, callouts, etc….)
28 - CPT 2

March 2023

1 - CPT 3
2 - CPT 4
3 - CPT 5
4 - OFF
5 - OFF
6 - CPT 6
7- CPT 7
8 - CPT 8
9 - PV: Procedures Validation with a check airman in the CPT to test flows, FMS management, callouts, memory items, approach profiles. This is to make sure you are ready for the full motion sims
10 - KV: Knowledge Validation, computer based test on systems, FOM, AOM, and limitations
11 - Observation Flight: Jumpseat on a turn to observe daily flight operations in the actual aircraft (DFW-CRP-DFW)
12 - OFF
……
17 - OFF
18 - SIM 1 (Only completed half because of sim maintenance)
19 - OFF (sim still under maintenance)
20 - SIM 1
21 - SIM 2
22 - SIM 3
23 - OFF (sim maintenance)
24 - OFF
25 - OFF
26 - OFF
27 - SIM 4
28 - SIM 5
29 - SIM 6
30 - SIM 7
31 - SIM 8

April 2023

1 - MV: Maneuvers Validation - checking event in the sim covering all maneuvers and approaches (single engine operations, V1 cuts, stalls, etc….)
2 - OFF
3 - OFF
4 - OFF
5 - OFF
6 - LOE: Line Oriented Evaluation - final ATP/type rating checkride, just a back and forth flight (one leg as pilot monitoring, one as pilot flying) with an abnormality on one of the legs

Since my sim partner was also an FO, all of my checking events either had the check airman as my captain or I had a sim instructor sit in as my captain.

7 - OFF
8 - OFF
9 - OFF
10 - CLT-MEM (IOE - initial operating experience)
11 - MEM-DFW-FAR (IOE)
12 - FAR-DFW-LIT (IOE)
13 - LIT-DFW-MAF-DFW (IOE)
14 - OFF
15 - OFF
16 - OFF
17 - DFW-MHK-DFW-JAN (IOE)
18 - JAN-DFW (IOE)
19 - DFW-MAF-DFW-LBB (IOE)
20 - LBB-DFW-ICT-DFW (IOE - last leg was my line check)

End of training and released to crew scheduling for reserve with just over 25 hours of flight time.

Summary

Overall, I was very pleased with the training at Envoy. Luckily, they plan for you to go through long term training with no delays, so everything is tentatively scheduled from day one. This means no delays for simulator training or waiting for checking events. My sim partner and I got pretty unlucky a couple of times with sim maintenance issues, but we eventually switched simulators to continue our training. I felt very well prepared for all of the checking events and written exams, and by the time I took the LOE I felt ‘fairly’ confident in the aircraft! Training is tough and it requires discipline. Having gone through a fast-paced program, like ATP, I didn’t have too much trouble keeping pace. Everything is well outlined and you just need to do your required studying outside of the classroom to be successful. Finding other students to study with and working hard with your sim partner will increase your chances of being successful. I’m very thankful that I had a great sim partner!

I hope someone finds this helpful!

Thanks,

Roscoe

6 Likes

Congrats with all your success! I often say getting hired is easy, getting through training is not. NOW you’re an airline pilot! Don’t forget to enjoy because it’s the greatest job on Earth!

Nice job sir!

Adam

2 Likes

Roscoe,

Great write up and very insightful. Thank you for sharing.

And most importantly, welcome to the airlines!

Chris

2 Likes