FAA Knowledge Test

What is the “FAA Knowledge Test” and how do I prepare and study for it? Is it more geared toward the FAA as an administration? or is it on pilot knowledge?

Elizabeth,

There are actually MANY FAA Knowledge exams that cover a number of FAA governed occupations (pilots, dispatchers, parachute riggers, mechanics, etc).

Since you’re on Airlinepilot.life I’ll assume you’re thinking about becoming a professional pilot so for that purpose there are required FAA Knowledge exams for each of the corresponding practical exams for each license and ratings you’ll need along the way. ATPs Airline Career Pilot Program includes the licenses and ratings you’ll need to build time to eventually get to an airline. Those are your Private and Commercial licenses, and your Instrument, Multi-engine and all 3 Instructor ratings. That means you’ll need to complete 6 of the FAA Knowledge exams.

There are a number of prep courses available which are included in the program but that’s really not something you should be concerned about at this stage. I recommend you spend some time reading our FAQ section and the ATP website to get a better idea of the process and where to start. You should also think about taking an intro flight or lesson before your do really anything else.

Adam

1 Like

Elizabeth,

One of our other mentors here, @Brady wrote up this great post of everything you need to know about pilot written exams:

Check it out:

This should answer a lot of your questions. Of course, feel free to ask away here if you find you have other questions!

Hannah

Hi Hannah,
Thank you for the information. It’s very helpful.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Presley Lammers