Family

Being a pilot is a big interest for me. My only concern is I have a daughter. Will it take away a lot of time from spending time with her ?

Stephanie,

Pilots can be on the road up to 18 days per month, as such this can have a big impact on family life. Take a look at our schedules in the “Schedules section” and see this might affect you.

Chris

Stephanie,

When you say “pilot” that can mean many things and many jobs. If you’re talking airlines than yes, in the beginning you’ll be away a fair amount of time until you can build some seniority and have more control over your schedule. There are pilot jobs that will allow you to be home every night but we’re generally not talking airlines.

Adam

I know that you guys have talked a lot about family life when working for the airlines, but i am curious on if you feel that you are not as close to your partner or children do to your job? or at least not as close as you would like to be. As this is the main thing that scares me from entering my dream job

Donovan,

I feel that a relationship will be strong or not, regardless of the job. A good relationship will weather any obstacles that are put in front of it, so no, I do not think the job affects things.

Chris

2 Likes

Donavan,

I’m with Chris on this one. I see pilots with fantastic relationships and others with bad ones. JUST like EVERYONE else in the world. Not sure why you think it would be a problem? Pilots generally work about 15 days a month (on the average) vs most people who work 20+. Yes you’ll be gone the days you work BUT are you really home when you’re gone 12hrs a day for a normal 9-5 including the average commute? I know tons of people with “regular” jobs who end up working overtime, have meetings and homework. When I park the plane I’m done. Then of course there are pilots who “misbehave” when away but I maintain if someone is of weak character then they’ll find a way to be bad. There are many obstacles but I don’t think that should be one of them.

Adam

1 Like

I’m no pilot (yet :wink:) but I have my fair share in long distance relationship with my wife. Grew up together and she moved away and we reconnected through Facebook and started out as a distance relationship. Trust in the relationship and in your partner is a big one, communication is key, and lastly there’s time. Meaning make time for your spouse and your relationship. Technology these days help dramatically (FaceTime, Skype. text. ect.). It will almost become part of your normal routine but you will definitely have to work a little harder on your relationship till it becomes second nature.