Female pilot

Hello!
I am very interested in pursuing a career in aviation. As a newcomer to the US, navigating the aviation industry has been quite challenging for me. I have many questions and doubts, and I am struggling to find information. Understanding the nuances and difficulties faced by women in this field is crucial for me to make informed decisions about my future. I have researched a lot, but I need to talk to someone who has experience in this industry to gain a better understanding of what it feels like to be a female pilot.

Your guidance would mean a lot to me as I embark on this journey. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hadya,

Absolutely, I can understand your concerns. I will do my best to answer your questions. But keep in mind, I can only speak from my own experiences and what Iā€™ve heard from some of my female peers.

Alright shoot, what questions do you have?

Hannah

1 Like

Hadya,

Aviation is a growing community and while it may seem there are few female aviators, the numbers are growing and weā€™re seeing an industry wide increase in number of female aviators! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

While we wait for your questions, there are numerous female aviator groups and chapters out there to help those that are inquiring. Women in Aviation (WIA) is one and they just held their biggest convention in Orlando the other weekend. The Ninety-Nines, Inc. is another great female group. Lady Aviators is another to name.

Brady

1 Like

First of all, I wanted to express my gratitude for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Your insights are truly valuable. I am particularly interested in discussing my future career in aviation, especially as a female aspiring pilot. I have come across challenges and discrimination faced by female pilots, which has left me feeling uncertain about pursuing my dream. Your perspective and guidance would mean a lot to me. Would you be available for a discussion over the phone or email to address my concerns and doubts?

Thank you once again for your time and consideration.

Warm regards,
Hadya

I wanted to extend my sincere thanks for responding to my inquiry regarding aviation. Your suggestions about the aviation groups were greatly appreciated. I will make sure to explore them thoroughly. Your kind help and support mean a lot to me as I navigate my path in the aviation industry.

Thank you once again for your valuable input.

Best regards,
Hadya

Hadya,

I waited to respond as I believe you wanted to hear from an actual and current female pilot (vs me mansplaining). That said you say ā€œI have come across challenges and discrimination faced by female pilotsā€ and Iā€™m curious where that comes from? Decades ago thereā€™s no question this was a very male dominated industry but that was then. I fly for Hawaiian and we have the highest percentage of women pilots in the World. Iā€™m friendly with many and aside from an occasional foolish comment by a passenger, none have had any issues ever.

We live in a time when many people like to point to other factors rather then their own failings (ie, I didnā€™t get this job because of myā€¦race, gender, sexual preference, etc etc etc vs you simply didnā€™t qualify due to a lack of proficiency. Btw, it works both ways. There will be people who will say you got the job just because ofā€¦).

While many people dream of flight, the fact is that not every can or should be a pilot. Iā€™m a senior Capt and Check Pilot for 20yr and I can assure you if you do well in training and conduct yourself as a professional, you wont have any issues. Donā€™t and you can either face the truth, work to improve yourself or if course go the easy route and say it wasnā€™t your fault.

Adam

2 Likes

Hadya,

Iā€™d be happy to answer your questions here on the forum publicly so other women who may have the same concerns and learn from our conversation as well.

To start, itā€™s illegal to deny a job to anyone based on gender, religion, sex, etc. Now you may face more subtle challenges as a woman in the industry having to prove that you are just as qualified and capable. That comes with a steep burden.

You must always be at the top of your knowledge and your skills because sometimes youā€™ll face those in the training department, an examiner or even a fellow peer that will be looking to make an example of you. You must simply rise above and be the best you can be. With each sharp female pilot that graces a flight deck, those few that still are locked in the past will either change their mind or eventually retire. Times are changing.

Hannah

2 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful to hear about your positive experiences as a female pilot at Hawaiian! Itā€™s inspiring to see how the aviation industry has evolved to become more inclusive. Your insights as a senior Captain and Check Pilot are valuable, highlighting the importance of professionalism and proficiency in this field. Thank you for sharing your perspective and encouraging me to strive for excellence in their training and conduct.

I look forward to delving deeper into the aviation world and working towards my dream of becoming a pilot.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. In my research, I encountered numerous accounts of female pilots facing sexual harassment and assault, such as the disturbing case of Delta Pilot Andrea Ratfield. Statistics from the FAAā€™s ā€˜Breaking Barriers for Women in Aviationā€™ survey revealing that 71% of women reported experiencing harassment in aviation settings were particularly concerning.

Aviation has always been my greatest passion and held a special place in my heart, but recent doubts have surfaced. I am eager to hear from a female pilot about their experiences in the industry. Iā€™ve also come across claims that female pilots are restricted from speaking on the PA system, and I am curious to know if this is accurate. While online sources provide information, I value your insights for their accuracy and firsthand perspective.

Hadya,

Itā€™s a global industry and not all countries are as culturally progressive as the United States is. With the being said, it could happen anywhere at any time. Iā€™d imagine if the statistics were published, youā€™d be more likely to get in a bad situation as a as a civilian on a layover than on the job. Itā€™s the same metaphor as saying youā€™re at a higher risk of getting in an accident on the way to the airport than on the plane. Doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t happen, but itā€™s far less likely. That doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t need to be smart about yourself and your surroundings at all times.

I would never want you or any other female student pilot to feel so paralyzed with fear to give up on the dream of flying. I havenā€™t had any instances like the ones you are referring to and neither have any of my closest friends. This job has given me way more than I could have ever dreamed of. There are so many female aviation groups so strengthen and support each other no matter what.

As for the PA comment, thatā€™s emphatically not true for any US airline Iā€™ve ever ridden on.

Hannah

1 Like

I reviewed the Breaking Barriers for Women in Aviationā€™ survey. I did find the stats you referenced but just something to keep in mind, that survey was from 2018. Although huge culturally changes doesnā€™t happen over the span of 6 years, there has been MASSIVE hiring since especially for minorities. That influx of diversity helps change company culture over time.

Hannah

Dear Hannah,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and encouraging message. Your positive outlook and personal experiences in the aviation industry are truly inspiring. I appreciate your perspective on the statistics and the progress being made, especially in terms of diversity and inclusivity. Itā€™s fantastic to hear about the supportive female aviation groups. Your words are truly motivating and a great reminder to stay determined and focused on pursuing my dream of flying. Iā€™m grateful for your insight and encouragement.

Just a quick question, are female pilots allowed to wear a headscarf in US airlines?

Hadya

Hadya,

Glad to hear it. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m here for :slight_smile:

I believe you can, as long as it doesnā€™t interfere with being able to do your duties in the flight deck.

Hannah