First Class Medical with SODA

Hello,

I’m currently working to obtain my first-class medical. My goal is to fly for an airline. Due to low vision in my left eye, I will be conducting a medical test flight with the FAA with the hope of receiving a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). My right eye is within standards for the issuance of the first-class medical. According to my AME and the FAA, as long as I pass the check ride I will receive a first-class medical with a SODA.

My question is this: Assuming that I receive the SODA and first-class medical, would an airline actually consider my application? Or would I just be passed over for candidates who do not need the SODA? I can’t seem to find much on the topic. I have, of course, contacted the various airlines via their recruiting emails, and, as expected no one responds.

And feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark,

The airlines will ask if you have a First Class medical. If you obtain one (with or without a SODA) then the answer is yes and you’ll be fine. The only exception is if the are any restrictions or limitations.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks so much for the reply. My AME seems to be confident that the only restriction would be that I wear glasses while flying. His sense was that I would not have any “limitations” on the medical. (Honestly, I was surprised that this process even existed)

It’s taken about 8 months to get to this point, but the SODA flight is on Thursday so hopefully, I get a positive result.

Thanks again, sir.

I’m at a legacy airline with a 1st class w/ a SODA for an eye issue, and that SODA I got back in my flight training days. You’ll be fine. Just carry the SODA and the 1st class together at all times. I also had to do a Medical Flight Test and that was the basis of issuance for the SODA.

Sam,

Thanks so much for the reply. I just completed the medical flight test with the gentleman from the local FSDO. Despite the fact that I was a bit nervous, the inspector stated that I did well and that he was going to recommend approval of my application for the first class medical. Now I simply have to wait for the folks in Oklahoma City to make their final determination, but passing the medical flight test looks like a very positive step in the right direction. Once I receive a result, whatever it may be, ill be sure to post it here as a resource for others.

That’s awesome! I hope it works out:)

Mark,

That is great news. I would recommend that while you are waiting, you contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them your question about this. I would just like you to be sure that you can be hired before you spend the money on flight training.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on that. This is the very same concern that I have as well. In fact, I have reached out to the various airline recruiting offices via email and or phone. Unfortunately, on the rare occasion that anyone responds, I get the pre-canned “thank you for your interest… in (xyz) we evaluate each candidate on their unique abilities and cannot provide any feedback without your specific application”

Fortunately, I am a little older (second career) and have the resources to pursue flight training without going into debt. I would love to get hired by an airline. But if I can’t… well I will love being able to rent a plane from time to time and just fly.

Honestly, I just feel lucky to have gotten this far.

Thank you Josh.

Hey Guys,

Great news on my end. I went to the mailbox today and found a letter from the FAA. In it was a Statement of Demonstrated Ability waiver and my new medical certificate. According to the SODA itself, the SODA allows me to have a Medical Certificate First Class. However, I will need to go the the AME and get a current physical if I wish to exercise the privileges of a First Class Medical. This is simply due to the fact that my last physical was over a year ago when I started the whole process. With SODA in hand, I will now head back to the AME and I will be all set. It seems like the important thing here is that the SODA itself states that it is valid for a Medical First Class.

Hopefully someone else will find this information helpful.

3 Likes

Mark,

Great news. Congratulations:)

Chris

Thanks Chris!

HI Mark, congrats on doing well on the SODA flight test. Quick question, sounds like I have the same kind of issue. An astigmatism for years, 20/25 in right eye, left is fine. Did you use a simple single engine aircraft for the SODA? What point are you in your training (PP-SEL, Instrument, Commercial). I’m just curious at what point should I begin. I’m a private pilot woth 110 hours looking to start an ATP type program. Do the SODA now, or later?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

JC

John,

If you know you’ll need a SODA, the earlier the better. Why put it off if doing so costs you more money in training without the peace of mind of already having the SODA?

Tory

John,

If you’re looking for a career in aviation you want to get working on that SODA ASAP. These things can take a while, everyone’s situation is unique and some AMEs handle these things better than others.

Adam

Hi Mark, it’s been a few years since your SODA post and I’m curious how you’ve got on in your aviation career. Are you now ATP? I really hope so.

Presumably no issues with the SODA.