First week Trenton

Jon,

Congratulations! This is a huge accomplishment! Also, thank you for letting us know.

Please continue to update us as you progress through the program.

Chris

1 Like

Way to pull through, Jon! One minor setback and look at you now.

“It’s not how you start, but how you finish.”

Tory

1 Like

Jon,

Congratulations on the PPL! :tada:

Up next is Instrument, this one is a very important phase as you will use it for the rest of your aviation career, study hard.

Brady

1 Like

When I did my CFI spin training, the rotation rate in the Diamond DA20 was very rapid. I did NOT enjoy it! I felt ‘off’ for 3 full days afterwards.

I did some research and people recommended taking Ginger. So I bought some Ginger Root capsules from the pharmacy and that did the trick. Take it 1 hour before you flight. You can also drink Ginger Ale (Vernors).

Hope this helps!

Update:

I passed my instrument check ride today, first try!

This phase started off extremely challenging for me. I needed extra time in the sim and I really wasn’t sure if I could do it. I ended up getting a new instructor after my original one left. My new instructor was so helpful in breaking down all the procedures and flows that come with instrument flying. Overtime it began to click.

I’ve grown to really love instrument flying. I surprised myself with how much I improved from day 1 of instrument until now.

2 Likes

Jon,

It’s a process and people aren’t born with these skills. It takes hard work but if you’re willing to do it, the rewards will come!

Nice job! Keep it up…

Adam

1 Like

Jon,

Congratulations! I am so glad it went well for you, your preparation and dedication obviously paid off. I always felt that the instrument ride was the most difficult. Thank you for the update, please keep them coming.

Chris

1 Like

Jon,

Congrats on the Instrument Rating. Instrument was the fun one, very detailed and challenging to learn. Have fun on crew, enjoy every moment you get meeting new friends!

Brady

1 Like

Well done, Jon!

Instrument was hard for me too. For me it was more the knowledge that I struggled with. Luckily I had an Instructor that polished me up before my check ride. I am still grateful for his lessons to this day.

Tory

1 Like

Congrats Jon!

Instrument is tough. The biggest takeaway (besides the cert in your hand) is the ability to recognize when you’re struggling and figure out how to address your deficiencies for a successful outcome. I’ll tell you, that won’t be the first challenge you face in your aviation career. But now you’re more equipped to handle the next one!

Have fun on crew!

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you everyone! I’ll be sure to keep the updates coming and update my crew experience. As always, I appreciate everyone of you for your support and advice on this forum. It’s helped me greatly.

So…….did you get a checkride photo? :sunglasses:

Brady

I really need to start remembering to get a picture! Haha I promise I’ll make sure to have a picture to post for my commercial check ride.

Jon,

Keep up the great work and don’t worry about the pics. You want to be a pilot, not a Kardashian!

Adam

4 Likes

Update:

I passed my commercial checkride today! First try! This stage took much longer than anticipated between the holidays, weather, plane availability and lack of day light. It worked out though and allowed even more time to get the writtens done early and more time to study.

Next up is CFI. This will be tough but I’m ready to embrace it and make it through. I have a 1.5 weeks before CFI starts and my instructor was nice enough to offer me to come in next week and teach him lessons in preparation for CFI.

As always, thank you all for the continued support!

Congrats Jon!

You’re officially a professional pilot (or at least legally can be)!

I won’t lie, CFI is a bear but just keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll be fine.

Thanks for the update.

Adam

1 Like

Jon,

Congratulations!! You’re nearing the finish line. CFI is tough but just stay ahead of the ground work. Start making lesson plans now and practice teaching them as often as you can. Sounds like you’re already off to a good start!

Good luck!

Hannah

1 Like

Jon,

Awesome way to start the New Year! Congratulations on the pass… CFI is a challenge, but given the opportunity by your instructor and having practice ahead of time to teach, will serve you well.

You’re at the hump of the story, soon enough you’ll be on the falling action and approaching the end. Enjoy the ride, I loved CFI as I made a lot of longtime friends.

Brady

1 Like

Jon,

That is excellent news, congratulations!

Next time we want to see a picture :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update and keep up the good work.

Chris

2 Likes

Update!

Today I passed my CFI checkride on the first try!! I did my oral on Friday but due to heavy winds I postponed the flight until today.

My oral went very well. My flight was overall passable but I really struggled with the landings. I just couldn’t do my short field correctly and my DPE was extremely fair and had me do them 3 times. At that point I got extremely worried about failing but I was finally able to do it. The DPE told me that landings are something I need to continue to improve on, since I’m somewhat weak on them (which I totally agreed with haha). But he was happy with my maneuvers, overall safety awareness, teaching and ground knowledge.

CFI academy was certainly challenging but I had so much support from other CFI candidates and came in well prepared (even then I still was shocked how much I didn’t know that I really should have!) Safe to say it was the hardest I ever worked and learned so much.

Now off to multi! ATP changed their curriculum and now we are doing our CFII in the multi. I’m very excited to fly the Seminole!

6 Likes