Flight Instructor question

Hey everyone, I’m new here to this forum. Long story short, I’m pursuing my dream of aviation and want to use ATP as my school of choice. It seems that after the 7 month program, airlines “require” 1500 additional hours of fly time. Question? Is it required or is it a guideline? Secondly, it also seems most students getting towards those hours are working as flight Instructors. Question? When working as flight Instructors, can you work anywhere or does it have to be at an ATP facility? Thank you.

Christopher,

The only reason the airlines require the 1500hrs is because it’s a federal regulation. Trust me if they could hire with less they would.

Most pilots flight instruct to build the time because a) there aren’t alot of jobs for low time pilots other than instructing, and b) it’s a great way to build QUALITY hours, not just quantity. Now after you’re done with training you’ll be a licensed Commercial pilot and Certified Flight Instructor and can instruct anywhere you like (or can find a job), BUT, know that many of the ATP Airline agreements (Spirits Direct Entry, Tuition Reimbursement, early seniority etc) are contingent on your instructing for ATP. That’s one of the many benefits of training with ATP. If you browse this forum, you’ll often see posts from instructors who didn’t train with ATP asking if they could get hired so they can take advantage of ATP relationships, which they cannot.

Adam

Ok, good to know and thanks for the info. I also keep hearing that there is a shortage of pilots and this is a good time to pursue a career.

Christopher,

There is a pilot shortage and it is a good time to start but pursuing this career because you think it will be easy to get hired isn’t a very good reason. Flight training is expensive, challenging and requires a tremendous amount of hard work.

Adam

Christopher,

In order to acquire your Airline Transport Pilot License (ATP) you must have at least 1,500 hours, the airlines require an ATP for hire. Below you can find a screenshot of this regulation found in the Code of Federal Regulations:

I acquired my 1,500 through flight instruction and the occasional flying with friends at home. It took me nearly 13 months to build my time as a flight instructor at ATP. I was delayed a few months from a job due to covid, but made the most of my time “off” at home.

As long as you go through ATP’s program and in good standing, you have a good chance of being offered a position to teach at a facility. If you rather not (which some do) you can teach wherever you want.

Brady

Thank you Brady for your response.