Flight School or College

Hello, I’m currently a Delta Air Lines (Ramp Agent) and I’m in College getting my Associates in Computer Information Systems (CIS), I’ve come to the decision of attending flight school eventually, ATP seems like the one I wanna get into, but I’m still debating on rather I should go to flight school now and get the associates later, or wait until I get my degree then attend the flight school.

I also wanna have some idea of the expectations and Criteria of ATP, is this course extremely difficult?

Finally, I am a heavy man weighing 280 lbs, and i’m 6’2 in height. do you need to be a certain weight to attend ATP?

Kassem,

1. Depends on your age. If you’re <25 I’d say finish college, >25 Id say start flight school. Also keep in mind a 2yr degree will do nothing for you. Delta and other Majors still prefer 4yr degrees.

2. ATP accelerates what usually takes years into months. Most find the program extremely challenging. Thing is if you don’t think you’re up for it what makes you think you can handle newhire airline training which is harder?

3. ATP has a max weight limit of 250. Great motivation to lose a few pounds.

You also don’t mention any flight experience? (And no riding in the back of a Boeing or Airbus doesn’t count). If that’s the case I strongly recommend you take an intro flight or lesson. While many believe they want to fly, until you sit up front in a small training airplane you won’t know for sure.

Adam

I am 19 years old, i have no flight hours or experience, do you know where and how I can get a PPL while I complete college? And is it a good idea to get a degree in aviation? Or does the major not effect the hiring process?

Kassem,

At 19 I suggest you complete your degree. Study what you like. The airlines neither desire or require an aviation degree. Further it provides no backup should flying not work out for any reason.

Finally the only reason to get your PPL first is if you’re not sure flying is for you. Most people spend way too much time and money getting their PPLs locally. You’re better off doing all your training within the same program from start to finish

Adam

Kassem,

No flight experience, so you NEED to take an Introductory Flight before any flight training decisions. At your age, I would say, finish the college degree. The biggest thing with college is it will not only help you in the long run with an interview (if it came to that point), but a backup plan if flying happened to stop. The degree does not need to be anything aviation specific, in fact my degree is in Marketing (Business), and I’m flying at the Regionals.

Also Delta Ramp Agent, have you looked into PROPEL?

Brady