Flight school or finish degree?

Hello,
I’m 23 years old and do not have a degree, but I have attended a couple years at college before a major life event forced me to stop. I recently got laid off because of COVID and want to take this opportunity to pursue my dream of becoming a pilot, but I am having some trouble figuring out what to do. I’ve read similar threads posted by some younger students that suggest going to college first but I feel like this time being laid off might be better spent going through flight school and finishing my degree later. Ive spent the last 4 years working as a manager at an aerospace manufacturing facility making parts for boeing and it feels like a natural transition to use this time to learn how to fly. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Tyrus,

Generally I recommend school first for people in their mid-20s and below and flight training after. The reverse if you’re above. That said this is America and you can do whatever you like. Just keep in mind you will need that degree and returning to school (even online) many people find very challenging and never do. The choice is yours but know that if you think you’re somehow going to sneak into the Majors without one you’re most likely wrong.

Adam

Tyrus,

At your age and with your work experience and a couple of years of college, I would start flight school now and finish your degree online while at a regional.

Tory

Tyrus,

At this point, I would go to flight school and then come back and finish the degree. Just make sure that you do finish the degree at some point as you will absolutely need one for the majors.

Chris