Do I finish my Degree first?

Hi everyone, I have a question pertaining to my future start date with ATP and whether I should finish my college degree before or after the ATP program.

I am currently studying for my FAA Airman Knowledge Tests and feel strongly that I should have these completed before starting the ATP program.

The other thing I am weighing before starting ATP is my college degree status. I currently have 85 credits of college coursework completed with about one year or so left of coursework to complete.
I would plan to finish my college degree online.

I am trying to decide if it’s worth finishing college before ATP or completing a degree after I finish the ATP program. My ultimate goal after ATP / (& building time required) would be to fly for a regional carrier and eventually the majors.

I am open to honest feedback, thank you for your time.

• Daniel

Daniel,

Obviously your call but we ALWAYS recommend finishing your degree first, particularly when you’re this close to finishing it.

Adam

Daniel,

That depends on you and how honest you are with yourself. It’s more difficult to finish your degree later than to finish it now since you’re currently taking classes, but it can be done if you are able to hold yourself accountable.

Tory

Daniel,

You’re in a position so close to finishing your degree that I would just bite the nail on the head to complete. Yes we’re all trying to get into the airlines as quick as possible, but if your end goal is to fly for any major, that degree is going to matter. Most of the new contracts that were negotiated in recent months 2024, in which they’ll be relooked at so pay shouldn’t be of worries…it’s the seniority.

If you feel that you could hold yourself accountable then I would say after training as an instructor you could do some online class work. I knew two instructors when I was instructing that were finishing their degrees up online. If you’re in a major where it builds on one another (I.e. Accounting), then skipping an almost year to do flight training could bring its own risks.

Brady

Daniel,

You do not state your age in your post. If you are young, of college age, I would recommend finishing college first. It is simply easier to stay in college mode than to stop and later try to get back into it.

That being said, the fastest path to the airlines is to go to flight training now and then finish your degree online once you get to the regional airlines. If you go this route, just make sure you will have the discipline to finish your degree.

Chris

Gotta ask? Is this a mixed metaphor or a new one you peckerheads created?

Adam

3 Likes

Mixed metaphor. :grimacing: Heard the phrase used a lot, years ago.

Definitely mixed metaphor. Biting a nail seems quite terrible. Maybe it will start a new metaphor for a completely different meaning! Haha

Anyway, have to add my vote here. With one year to go, I’d finish college first. It will save you a lot of headache trying to juggle college work while flying for a regional.

Hannah

2 Likes

I think it mixed hitting the nail on the head with biting fingernails…

3 Likes

Yeah, you all got me on that one. I don’t think I had my morning coffee at that point of writing. :coffee:

Maybe we can start a new trend? At least it’s not a headset, sunglasses or watch debate. :grin:

Nahhhhh, I think we should keep kicking Brady… at least till Chris gets a shot. I’d say Tory too, but he’s too kind. :blush:

Adam

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

There is no watch debate. The Vacheron Constantin Overseas is the ultimate luxury sports watch, designed in the spirit of travel. It is an understated metaphor of a pilot’s life spanning the globe whilst keeping them firmly planted in their home country.

I suppose that one could wear a Breitling Navitimer if they suddenly felt the need to wear an E6B on their wrist and announce to the world that they were in fact, a newly minted airline pilot.

Chris

1 Like

You must be making some serious captain money if you can afford a watch that has a price tag of “Price on request”! :rofl:

They’re really good looking watches though…

Ben

Ben,

Those are the third generation. Mine is stainless steel and a second generation model, which I can assure you costs significantly less than “price on request”.

2 Likes

This “one” not only could but he did and does. At least until recently when I started rockin’ my Swatch Omega Moon. Kind of a novelty but I really dig it.

Adam

1 Like

Timex Expedition.

Pretty nifty how they designed the Omega watches around the planets. I’m glad they didn’t leave Pluto out. :telescope:

1 Like

I really like the Swatch X Omega idea. I have always been more of a Seamaster and vintage Constellation fan myself.

2 Likes

Jake,

Nothing wrong with a Timex Expedition (analog). That was my first watch that I ever bought. I was sixteen and got it at Kmart. To this day I still have it and it runs great. I wear it for hiking and outdoor activities.

Chris

1 Like