Flight Time

I was wondering, say I have my commercial pilots license, and I’m working towards my 1500 hours. If I go out this Saturday, and fly for an hour just for fun, can I put this hour down in my logbook to count towards my 1500 hours? Or does my time have to be spent banner towing or flight instructing for it to count towards my 1500 hours?

Short answer: yes.

Long answers may follow.

Wyatt,

Good question and Justin is correct, flight time is flight time is flight time. As long as you’re flying a plane that you’re licensed and rated for (or receiving instruction) you can log it. I for example took a glider lesson last week and yes I logged it. Without getting too preachy that my friend is my major argument against the 1500hr rule as it doesn’t really stipulate the QUALITY of the time, just the quantity (yes there are some other requirements, multi, instrument, night and cross country but that’s not the bulk). So if you went out and bought a Cessna and flew around the airport traffic pattern everyday until you hit that magic 1500 would that make you a better pilot? Not likely but that’s still the rule. Silly!

Adam

Wyatt,

I logged several flights that were exactly the kind that you are talking about. I had a few friends that liked to go flying and I would often accompany them. The flight time all counted as I was flying an airplane.

Chris

Justin
I thought so, but just wanted to check.
Many thanks,
Wyatt P.

Adam,
Thank you for the response. I know I ask a lot of questions. I’m very inquisitive about the profession as I believe that this is the Path I want to take after flying a Cessna a few times and researching. I think that you make a very good point about quality over quantity.
Thanks,
Wyatt P.

Chris,
That sounds very good. That’s what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. So I have to ask Chris, If I were to join a flight club, about how many hours a month would I accrue from that?
Thanks,
Wyatt P.

Wyatt,

I can’t see you getting many hours from a flying club. Those types organizations are more for the weekend warrior type who want to take their buddy to get a hamburger thirty minutes away, they are not meant for building flight time. I would focus on getting paid to fly (i.e. instructing).

Chris

1 Like

Chris,
Oh ok. That makes sense.
Thanks,
Wyatt P.