Flights for family members

I apologize if the information is already hidden somewhere, but the search function didn´t bring up the answer I hope to find here:

My boyfriend/fiancé will start flying for an airline soon. I am also a pilot, but I fly helicopters, sometimes abroad. We are already used to travelling a lot and being apart, so that´s not a problem. I am more curious about the travel benefits for pilots: Do we have to be married in order for me to get free or discounted flights? Or can he name one person (me) as his “significant other” who would be considered the primary beneficiary? We have been in a relationship for years and are really not interested in getting married only for flight benefits.

I´d greatly appreciate any input. Thank you all!

Nana,

At my airline a significant other qualifies for discounted standby tickets. Spouses, parents and children qualify for free standby tickets.

Tory

1 Like

Nana,

I’m at Hawaiian and we (and most of the airlines I know of) allow you to name a single “travel companion”. That person need not be your spouse or even “significant” other. I know many single pilots who just list their best friend for the benefits.

Adam

1 Like

Nana,

At every airline that I am familiar with, employees are able to add one additional, non-family member to their pass privileges. No need to be married.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you all very much, this is very good to know. You helped us a lot!

Be safe out there
Nana

Is the spouse/friend/person required to travel with the employee? Or are they allowed to travel alone?

They are allowed to travel alone.

Chris, Adam, or Tory,

This will be the first time I ask a, “You’re getting way ahead of yourself,” question. I’m truly just curious and have lurked my way through many forums and discussion strings looking.

Family flies free, correct? I’m sure there are differences airline to airline, but I think that’s fairly common. So here’s the question: Would it be naive to think that my wife or daughter could grab an empty seat to ride a flight I’m crewing so they could see me in-between flights…have lunch or whatever? I truly get that this is not a critically serious question, but I’m just curious and for the early years where family life takes a backseat, it might be a way to steal some extra moments together. Thanks for indulging the question.

Philip,

I have ridden for free on flights that my father flew and I have had several people come along on flights that I was flying. As long as there are available seats, it should not be a problem. Just remember that if the flight fills up, you are going either way and they will be left on their own.

Some airlines have age restrictions on children taking advantage of the free flights, I am actually not sure if my airline has one or not.

Chris

Phillip,

Absolutely. My gf is on a layover with me right now actually. She’s on summer break. My layover is in Sacramento where my family lives.

Tory

Chris -

Is there a program/system that airline employees use that will indicate whether there’s a decent shot of getting that standby seat for themself and their family/friends? Thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

Yes, each airline has their own internal reservation system that employees can use.

Chris

Prayers also work really well :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Guys, thanks for humoring the question with great answers. Thanks!

Just my 2 cents, as spouse of a regional pilot: plan A LOT OF TIME to jump on other flights if the one you chose is full. I tried several times to fly standby between Phoenix and Vegas, and the system always showed up to 20 seats available. However, due to all the Boeing MAX 8 still being grounded, a lot of regular flights get cancelled, and passengers get moved onto other flights with very short notice. I decided to book cheap seats at some point to ensure that I really get to fly, as I literally spent whole days at the airport, waiting for a free seat. It might get better once the MAX 8 get back on schedule. Also, it probably is a popular route, even on a weekday…