Flying for fun outside of ATP on off days?

I’m talking about renting a plane from a different FBO and going on $100 burger runs and the like. I was wondering if this is a common thing for students to do, or if most people are just burned out from training for 5 days and need the weekend to recover. I’m coming in with my PPL and I’d still want to bum around the sky for fun and explore new airports that I might not visit as part of my training.

Tristan,

I never flew outside of ATP when I was a student. Didn’t have the time. Was trying to stay on track or catch up.

Tory

Tristan,

What you do in your spare time is entirely up to you but I think you’ll find you’ll be kept pretty busy and might just want to chill.

Adam

Tristan,

I never flew outside of ATP. The pace of the program is such that most people just want to relax and study on their time off.

Chris

Tristan,

I’m about a month ahead right now and might be a little more than that come time for my Instrument Checkride depending how the weather holds for my last few flights.

I got my Private outside of ATP so I already am cleared to rent at my other school and have my insurance with the other flight school and still haven’t rented since starting due to either relaxing or studying on my days off or the evenings when I’m home (as the Mentors have said).

Keep in mind if you do want to go rent a plane you will need to get checked out at that location so factor in 2-3 flights before you can go for that $100 hamburger on your own which could be a few weeks to a few months to do depending on your schedule, the planes availability and your available funds. Plus you will definitely need to get insurance before as well which adds on so expect conservatively a $130/hr plane and $160 Insurance your looking at $550 spent before going on your own.

Let’s face it, the “$100 hamburger” is really the “$1,000 burger”.

1 Like