I have been considering attending ATP, but I have a few questions

I have been reading a lot of these questions to try and help me understand what its going to be like when I get there or when I attend, I realize that its going to be like a full time job, lots of studying, and not a lot of time off. But I still had a few questions because I just don’t really fully understand what to expect.
When attending are you allowed to leave whenever like after class is over for that day?
Can you have a vehicle at campus?
Do you think it is possible to have a girlfriend or be in a relationship and still attend this course?
Ive read a lot that it takes more time than advertised and you have to pay for anything else yourself? what if you won’t be able to afford continuing out of pocket or is it just added to your loan?
I have family 1 hour away from the nearest location could I leave for the weekend and spend all my weekend time there and study at home or do I have to stay on campus?

anything helps, advice I just need to make sure I know what I’m getting myself into.

Drake,

Lots of good questions so let’s get to it:

1. Sure, once your day is done you’re free to leave and do as you please. It’s not prison.

2. Yes and many people do. Btw, ATP really doesn’t have a campus. Think offices and classrooms at the various airports.

3. Sure and many people do. What’s important is for you to clearly convey to your significant other that for 7mos you’ll be spending minimal time with them as your focus needs to be on your training. You’ll be investing a tremendous amount of time and money on this endeavor and there aren’t really do-overs if you don’t keep up. I won’t lie, while most people are fine, I do know of more than a few relationships that didn’t survive the program, but in my mind that proves they weren’t that strong

4. Not sure where you read that but it’s simply untrue. The vast majority of ATP students finish on time and on budget. Those who don’t like to blame ATP because they simply didn’t put in the work and yes it cost them extra money (ie, you’re not ready for your checkride because you spent the weekend prior with your girlfriend and you bust. You will need additional training and it’s not ATPs fault so why should they eat it?).

5. Prior to starting you’ll need to show proof of funds to cover the entire course. If you’re taking a loan you’ll need to take enough money out to cover your expenses. If you’re concerned about going over the answer is don’t. Focus and work hard and you’ll be fine. The course hours are not the minimums but based on unrealistic super pilots. They’re real world based on ATPs 35+ yrs of experience. Completely doable again provided you’re willing to do the work.

6. Again when you’re off you’re off and free to do as you like. There’s nothing wrong with spending a day here or there with family IF AND WHEN you find yourself with a little lull in the action. That said staying with family inevitably means distractions and distraction by definition are no good.

Drake, after reading and answering your questions it seems clear you have concerns about how much down time you’ll have during the program for family, friends and relationships. That concerns me greatly. ATP takes what usually takes years and compresses it into months with the goal of preparing you for the airlines. It’s not something to take casually and many people struggle with the pace. Your primary concern and focus needs to be on your training and really nothing else. You’d be better served going in thinking you’ll have little or no time for anything else and then maybe being pleasantly surprised if you do. If you don’t you may find yourself taking extra time, paying extra money or worse, being removed from the program. More than a couple of checkride busts can completely torpedo your entire career and then you just wasted $85k+.

Ultimately it’s your call and this is America where you can do what you like. I only ask if you do disregard our advice (like some do) and you fail (like some do) you don’t go on some forum blaming ATP (like ALL do) because the fault is yours, not ATPs.

Adam

1 Like

Welcome Drake

First off, ATP’s does not have any campuses. They have training centers located near airports. So, a reliable vehicle is definitely strongly suggested.

And yes, technically if you don’t have any scheduled events on your calendar are free to be wherever you like. Me personally, I liked to study at the training center because there are fewer distractions and if I needed help with something, there was usually someone around that I could talk to.

It sounds like you have come across some posts about cost on other forums. If you take a look at ATP‘s website, the price listed is exactly what the program costs. The only time that the program could cost extra is if you need extra training. But if you keep up with the Program case and are successful on all of your check ride then program won’t cost anything extra.

You can absolutely have a relationship while you are in the program. I would just make sure that you communicate as best as you can that way clear expectations are set. Your number one priority should be school. As long as your partner is supportive then you should be fine.

Tory

Hey Drake!

1. “Class” is kind of a misnomer. You’ll have flights and simulator sessions scheduled by your instructor, as well as some ground lessons, but there isn’t really a set schedule.

2. Of course! Lots of students will go out for lunch mid-day and such.

3. Absolutely possible. Several students that I’ve had have been dating, in relationships, even married.

4. The amount of time that it takes to finish is fairly set, but you can accelerate the process somewhat by devoting more time to studying and being 100% ready for every flight or sim. If you go over slightly on hours, sometimes the overage can be covered by later phases of training, but if that’s not an option you may have to pay. Other than overage hours, you’ll pay for examiner fees and supplies (iPad, headset, etc), but those can be rolled into your loan.

5. As long as your instructor doesn’t have anything scheduled for you, there’s no rule saying you have to stay at the airport every day. As long as you’re getting your studying done, I don’t see any reason you can’t go to visit your family.

I’d love to answer any other questions you have!

My wife would love to get rid of me for 9 months lol. Best of luck :+1: