Flying for Hawaiian While Living on the Mainland

Hi everybody,

I’m not sure if this is a dumb question or not but in the future I am looking to fly for Hawaiian Airlines as my current girlfriend is from Hawai’i and we would love to move back one day to be closer to her family. Long story short though, I wanted to ask and see if it is possible to live on the mainland and fly for Hawaiian but start your trips from here on the mainland, LAX for example, and fly the return leg back to HNL as I know that’s the airlines main base. From what I’ve seen I know I’ll probably have to wait until further down the road as the commute from the mainland is too much and just wait until we move to Hawai’i (if we ever do). Thank you for any info you guys might have!

Nathan,

I’m a HAL 717 Capt and a such I’m the resident expert on all things Hawaiian.

To answer your question HNL is not Hawaiian’s “main” base, it’s the only base, so no you would not be able to start any of your trips from the West Coast as ALL trips originate from HNL.

However, you may or may not have heard, we recently entered into a partnership to fly cargo for Amazon and there will be at least one base on the mainland (currently that’s CVG) with the possibility of others in the future. Pilots who fly the cargo routes will flown to the base from various gateway cities (like LAX). This might be something that works for you as you could start flying for the cargo ops on the mainland and then if you decide to move to Hawaii transfer to the pax ops.

Adam