From Part 141- Part 61, Question for Chris

Hey Chris, so I remeber you said in a post that you finish the PPL in a part 141 while you are in college before you start in ATP. I know that if you transfer from a part 61 to a part 141 you will only get credit for around 25% of the hours you have, so the question is does it work the same way if I transfer from 141-a 61 school like ATP? Do i keep all the hours or will i only get around 25-50% of it when I start school in ATP? Thanks in advance.
-Jacob

Jacob,

Great questions. ATP offers entry into their program one of two ways. 1. With no flight time at all or 2. With your private pilots license. So if you are working on your private now and you come to ATP you will either need to finish your private at your current school and at that point you will start the program with your PPL, or you can enter without it and ATP will begin your training from the very beginning. As you can imagine there is a wide spread in the quality of various flight schools and ATP really has no way of knowing what your flight school has done or how they have trained you, so they only bring people into the program in these two manners.

Now your flight time is of course your flight time and that comes with you no matter where you go. It will still be a part of your total time and counts just as much as any other flight time would.

Chris

Chris,
Thank you for reply. However, I am asking about the flight time because one of my friend who just got a PPL from ATP have to transfer to a part 141 school, and she was told that when she work toward that 190 hours, only 25%-50% of her 90 hours of that PPL training will count. So I am just wondering if that the same thing gonna happen with 141-61 or is it just a 61-141 thing? Thanks
-Jacob

Jacob,

That’s definitely a 61-141 thing but not the other way around. Part 141 schools have VERY strict prescribed curriculums. Whether you have the time or not the boxes all have to be checked in there specified order.

Curious why your friend didn’t continue with ATP?

Adam

Jacob,

if you are going 141 to part 61 al of your flight time will continue to count.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris and Adam! Really helpful information.
She has a duel citizenship from Taiwan, and apparently none of the Taiwan airlines want part 61 training. she told me that China Airlines stated only part 141 license is accepted, and EVA just brought their only training school in US so there are rumor that they only going to consider part 141 applicant from now on. Just like a 4 yrs degree in US I guess.
-Jacob

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Adam