Getting hired at a Major without a college degree

Hey all,

I’m starting to look into starting my journey to become an Airline pilot. I’m 22 years old and i’ve just about gotten all my stuff straight - but one thing still concerns me. I’ve been working in IT since i turned 18 (doing software development and just normal IT work) and I don’t have a degree. I’m all self taught. I didn’t go to school due to having to help with bills at home. So far, i’ve seen a lot about just about every airline REQUIRING a 4 year degree. I see that it’s possible to get into a major without one - but i’m wondering just how rare is it? I’ve always seen that Degrees are really for getting an interview, and of course with a field i have no experience in, that’s extremely important.

Of course taking on almost $90,000 in debt is a big step and of course having to leave my job is even more terrifying. The last thing i really need is more debt for going to school. Do you have any tips on how to get the 4 year degree from nothing? From what it sounds - it’s not possible to follow ATPs steps to get into a major in 2 years if it takes 4 years for the degree.

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks All! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Michael,

First thing I’d like to clear up is degree or no degree, you’re not getting to a Major in 2 years so I’m not sure where that idea came from?

Ok this question gets asked daily and I recommend you spend a few minutes reading any of the HUNDREDS of previous discussions. Short answer while it’s possible to get hired without a degree you’re severely limiting your options which is never a good idea in this industry. Due to the pilot shortage American has set up some flow-thrus with their Regional partners. Since the Regionals don’t require a degree it’s possible to flow into American without a degree. The problem is that’s ONE single Major and they are not going to cripple their Regional by taking all that Regional’s pilots. The airline industry is anything but stable and should things slow down at American and/or you decide maybe AA isn’t the best fit for any number of reasons (bases, pay, aircraft, corporate culture, they cancel the flow, etc) and want to go to Delta or United, SWA, maybe overseas etc etc guess what? You put all your money on that AA No Degree plan so you’re stuck. So while I understand you don’t want to incur any extra debt, I think it’s better to do so and have options than to put ALL your money on a single longshot.

Adam

I believe I miss understood the time frame, and I appreciate the advice!

Curious, in general how long could one spend at a regional before getting a chance at a major? Trying to think about how that timing works. Mainly because of the large amount of debt and trying to pay it back seems quite daunting.

Many thanks again! Would you recommend starting college as soon as you start at a regional or sooner? As far as i’ve seen on other threads - going to college and being a flight instructor don’t exactly mix well.

Mike

Michael,

The sooner you can get that degree out of the way the better. As a Regional pilot you’ll have a ton of down time so you might as well make good use of it. As for time to a Major that’s a somewhat nebulas question. Shortest I’ve ever heard was a little over a year (but that was for one individual with some MAJOR connections). Longest is well, never. The fact is there’s no guarantee any pilot will make it to the Majors. There is no shortage like there is at the Regionals so they can be and are much more selective. Some people have blemishes on their records (DUI’s or other offenses), some have had training issues or checkride failures, some accidents or incidents, some have bad reputations from their Regional, some people simply don’t interview well. Regardless of the reason they just can’t seem to get through. Being more positive the average does seem to be about 5-7yrs. If you get hired in less you’re fortunate, more there’s probably an issue.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you again for your help! And that sounds like the best way to go is to get a degree while at a regional.

Thank you for your time and congrats on the Recent? promotion!!! Definitely someone to look up to! :smiley:

Thanks Michael. That’s actually an older post, I upgraded last year.

Adam

Ahh, well congrats regardless! Is there an online college you would recommend by chance? And does what you major in matter?

1 Like

Michael,

I can’t really recommend any online schools as I haven’t personally had any experience but I’m sure you can do some Googling. As for a Major that’s a good question. First off the airlines don’t care so I generally recommend something other than aviation that you enjoy. That way you have a plan B just in case. BUT, there are a number of aviation colleges that will give you credits for your licenses and ratings which will save you a fair amount of time and money. Your call.

Adam

All 3 of my degrees are from online schools. Granted they aren’t in aviation.

Penn Foster College
Associate in Business

Western Governors University
BS Marketing Management & MBA

Very affordable and quick IF you have the drive to knock it out and study hard

Ditto all of my further education has been online, or accelerated rather than a traditional 3 or 4 year degree. Drive, time commitment and motivation can see you succeed in online education.

I hold three Masters Degrees (MA, MSc and an MBA) that I gained during my career, but don’t have a Bachelor’s Degree. I am assuming that this will meet the education minimums for a Major in due course.

One thing I will definitely be discussing with recruiters at the earliest opportunity to gain their views.

Simon,

I think your education will be just fine, but I have to ask, how does one obtain a Master’s Degree without first obtaining a bachelor’s degree?

Chris

Good question Chris - basic answer is via the military and though age/experience.

In the UK we can attend The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (our West Point) from age 18 and receive an officers commission - it is increasingly uncommon now, but not back in the last Millennium when I was there!

The commissioning course is 12 months long only and not degree awarding unlike West Points 4 years. Most officer candidates are graduates of a 3 year degree though (UK Degrees only 3 years long). Once we hit the rank of Major (c 30 years old) we attend a further 9 month course at Staff College. A combination of these courses, and professional experience, is used as academic justification for entry to the Masters course itself.

Similarly my MBA was an executive course providing credit for 10 years professional experience, and having completed a number of Project and Program management qualifications.

Makes sense. I think you will be fine.

Hi again Mentors and Peers. On the topic of getting hired and degrees and what not, on my high school Diploma i have an issue with my name cited on the Diploma. Already went to the high school to ask if i could get one replaced but they do not issue replacements. They said my Official Transcript should be fine everywhere for employment. Any suggestions? If this is true I think i should be fine.

Ankel,

Transcript is fine and that’s if they even ask. Not an issue.

Adam

Ankel,

You will be asked to submit your transcripts, not your diploma. So, you’ll be fine.

Tory

Ok great thanks @Tory and @Adam

1 Like

Ankel,

Transcripts will be fine, I wouldn’t worry about this. I have absolutely no idea where my high school diploma is.

Chris

Ok haha thanks Chris :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

My name is Sabi, 40 years old, I’m from Spain and married with an American girl.
I currently work in the largest airline in Europe flying an A320 with more or less 2500 hours in type. My question is the follow:

I don’t have a 4 years college degree but I do have as mentioned experience on a jet, as I said over 2500 hours in A320 + another 300 hours from my flight school training, total flight time more or less around 3000 hours + another 400 hours on a FFS.
My wife and I we are planning to move to USA, is there any chance for me to get a job in any Major Airline?

Thanks a lot guys, I really apreciate your help

Best