FO at a major without a degree

So I finally flew with a new hire pilot that did not have a four year degree. In the five years since I upgraded to Captain, this was the first. This gentleman did have an associate’s.

Before everybody gets too excited and thinks they do not need a degree, please be aware that it also took him fifteen years and thousands of hours of flying to get to a major. So yes, he got to a major without a degree, but it took him a good ten years longer than most of the new hire pilots I fly with now. He will have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of his career, if not more.

So possible? Maybe. Recommended? Absolutely not.

2 Likes

Which degree do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

I do not mind at all. I have an undergraduate degree in business administration.

I also have a degree in Business (Bachelors degree) and have been working in Commercial Banking since graduating college in 2018. I’m now 28 and looking to start flight school. Will I have a leg up because of the Bachelors Degree? Or is it not as helpful because it’s not aviation related? I plan to do ATP pilot training and then unsure the best way to get to 1500 hours, I know there is the CFI route (18-24 months of instructing) or the ATP airline direct route (which seems to be a very expensive option but only 1 year).

Any advise is appreciated!

Blake,

The Majors prefer a 4yr degree but don’t care the field of study so you’re good there.

As for building time flight instructing is by far the most common route and it’s also a great way to hone your skills. That said there are of course other low time flying jobs but many are dependent on where you’re located. That’s something you can research but getting trained first is obviously what’s important.

Adam

Thanks Adam, I really appreciate the response and you sharing your knowledge on the subject, great news to know that my degree can aid me in the airline industry. I am waiting for a call back to get my 1st Class cert and exploring the option of moving down to Florida to go to the Jacksonville ATP location :+1:t3: thanks again!

Blake,

The bachelors degree will help open doors for you in this career. Airlines don’t care what you studied, just that you committed to it and could see it through.

Sounds like you’ve found the nearest AME for your first class medical. Next steps, have you scheduled an intro flight and applied for financing?

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your comment! Yes, I have scheduled my intro flight for July 2 at the Fort Myers location and have also applied for financing and waiting for a decision to come back. They mentioned that start dates vary by location with some booking out to November and others with start dates in July.

It is great to hear that my 4 year degree will help my resume despite it not being in aeronautics or something like that! Thanks again!