Getting hired at age 50 & qualifications

Hey everyone,
My brief history. I got my private thru CFI from 1995-1997.
I have a CFII/MEI that I maintain for my own benefit. I have almost 1000 hours. About 180 multi. No turbine. I also have a helciopter and instrument helicopter that I got in 2016.
However, I haven’t flown much recently.
I would love to get back into flying full time, but this time for a job as I have sold my business, need an income, love aviation.
I will be 50 later this year. I see the various Cadet programs out there. Piedmont, Envoy, PSA, etc…

I do not have a college degree.

Realistically, do I have a chance of being accepted into any of these programs and getting a job? I live in Florida near West Palm Beach. I don’t mind commuting (air or car), but I can’t relocate.

Any advice appreciated.

George,

You absolutely can and should. Biggest thing is being realistic about your expectations. Starting at 50, you’re probably never going to be a Delta widebody Capt. You could however have very nice career at the Regionals, an LCC or even a Legacy as a narrow body Capt or even a widebody FO. The really good news is salaries have come up considerably since the 90’s and any of those positions with get you into 6 figures relatively quickly.

I’d encourage you to start applying now to the airlines you like and more important get current.

Adam

George,

I think you have an excellent shot of getting hired on at any regional. I would not worry so much about cadet programs, just get to 1,500 hours and apply to the regionals. As Adam said, make sure your career expectations are realistic.

Chris

Hey Chris, I appreciate the reply. Getting to 1500 hours on my own or as a CFI might be a little tough for me and not realistic without instructing, which I would prefer not to do since I haven’t instructed in years. I just maintain my CFI certificate just “in case” and just for my own knowledge and to keep my mind sharp with regards to flying.

Hey Adam, thank you for your reply. Absolutely, while my dream once with to fly a 747, I think I’ll be fine with something a tad smaller;).
I definitely don’t have the expectations as someone who is younger with a degree. I just want a decent job and make a decent living. It would be great to do it with something I enjoy like flying airplanes.

I appreciate the advice.

Is there a specific company people here would recommend?

George,

Listen, if you really want to fly 74s there are cargo carriers like Atlas hiring. The pay isn’t great and you’ll work your butt off but it each their own.

Regardless and cadet programs or otherwise you will need to build the required 1500hrs. No way around that.

Adam

George,

So how do you plan on getting to 1,500 hours?

Chris

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that they provide the training/hours to get to 1500. Re-reading this, I am still a little confused here.

I emailed them a few weeks ago requesting more info, took them about 2 weeks to reply to me.
Their reply was simply, “look at the website”.

So if I have to get the missing hours to reach 1500 on my own, then what am I getting out of it from them? I assume some sort of financial reimbursement and commitment from my end?

George,

The cadet programs and partnerships offer things like hiring bonuses, Tuition Reimbursement, parhways to the Majors and things to that affect. They also will provide you with the ATP-CTP training as part of your newhire training which is a requirement to obtain your ATP. All are contingent on you having 1500hrs of flight time which is the requirement for an ATP cert and therefore needed to fly for an airline. None will provide you with the hours.

Adam

George,

Cadet programs are a way for a pilot to secure a conditional job offer of employment well before reaching the min hours. You can get tuition reimbursement, start building company seniority for things like new hire class seniority, accruing vacation and other company benefits. Some even offer travel benefits and 401k contributions.

With all that being said, it’s still on you to figure out how to build the remaining time. Instructing, banner towing, pipeline patrol, etc.

Hannah