Is it too late at 49 to go for CFI and aim for the regionals?

Hi, Im new at this and I really need a professional and honest advise. Im a 49yo single man, holding a Commercial License, IFR rated and Multi Engine with 350 total time. I would love to enter the regional airlines without big expecations for moving to the majior arilines. I`m happy with flying the nice regional airlines equipment. I would like to start as soon as possible to work on my CFI and eventually build my time with an Envoy Cadet Program affiliated flying school here in New-York. Do you think a man of my age can still make it or it would be a waste of time and money? is the Envoy Cadet program a real thing of they are just selling dreams? I appreciate any answers.
Thank you
Giorgio

Giorgio,

The Regionals need pilots badly and as long as you have the required 1500hrs and nothing scary on your record you can ABSOLUTELY have a very nice career as a Regional pilot. The Envoy program is legit as are many of the other Regional programs so I’d do some research. Biggest issue for you it’s building that time. If you can earn your CFI that’s probably the best and easiest route.

Adam

Giorgio,

I think that you have plenty of time, but I wouldn’t spend too much time waiting to get started. You could easily have ten or more years left with the airlines, but you need to get on it.

Chris

Hi Adam, thank you for the response. Im starting my CFI next week but im afraid it will take too long to build that 1500 hours required. Considering that I have almost 350 total time, how much time do you think a CFI usually need to build the remaining 1000 hours considering the weather issue in New-York?

Hi Chris, thank you too for the response. you guys are great. As I just asked Adam, I m starting my CFI next week and I m afraid it will take too long to build that 1500 hours required. Considering that I have almost 350 total time, how much time do you think a CFI usually need to build the remaining 1000 hours considering the weather issue in New-York?

Typically, CFIs can fly 60-90 hours per month, but it really depends on the flight school and how busy you are.