Getting PPL abroad

Hi all!

I’m considering joining ATP on Long Island in a few months. However, I currently live in Peru (but I’m American). I was wondering if it would work if I got my PPL here in Peru and then returned to begin flight school after already getting the PPL here (the advantages are that it never rains and it’s much cheaper here).

Or would U.S. flight schools not accept a PPL obtained in South America?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob,

If you can train in Peru and convert your license to a FAA license, that should be work. I would point out though that there are significant differences in regulations regarding flying in different countries and you might find yourself having to learn the American way of doing things. Iw Ould recommend waiting until you are back to the US to start your training.

Chris

Jacob,

Flight schools require FAA licences. If you licence is not FAA you must go through a transfer process.

Adam

Jacob,

Why receive training from outside the country you’re looking to get employed with? This question has been frequently asked more and more, especially with European flying and transferring the certificate to EASA. What is stopping you from fully training in the US?

Brady

Thank you!

I’m considering getting my PPL here because I would save around 15,000 dollars.

Do you know how easy/complicated that transfer process would be? I’m just asking cause I can save a lot of money by doing the PLL here in Peru.

Jacob,

Depending on the country, it can be a fairly easy process. Whether Peru is or not is a question for the FAA. I suggest you contact them.

Adam

Jacob,

Here’s a link to the “Verification of Foreign License and Medical”:

Nothing on here about a license from Peru, I recommend reaching out to a FSDO and seeing what they would have to say.

Brady

Thank you. This is very helpful!

Jacob, I done this with my UK PPL to convert it to an FAA. There was a fair bit of paperwork involved when I done mine but the UK CAA can be particularly difficult to deal with.

If you do this there’ll be a limitation on your FAA license stating it’s only valid while your Peruvian license is. So if you don’t get your CPL within two years of passing your Peruvian PPL you’ll need to find a Peruvian rated instructor in the US for a flight review or return back to Peru to do one.

George

Jacob,

You could also stop by your local FSDO to inquire because they would be the ones helping you in the transfer process in the future.

I know it may seem like a good way to save some money, but transferring your licenses isn’t always easy. Plus don’t take for granted the PPL for being the foundation for the rest of your aviation training. It’s not recommended to go cheap right out of the gate unless you can truly verify quality training and consistent flying.

Hannah