Glass vs. conventional

I’ve been working on my instrument rating for a little under a month now, and I’ve been training exclusively with the G1000. I went through my entire private pilot training in the conventional, so I’m confident in my ability to fly the conventional, but as I go further into instrument training I’m afraid of lacking the ability to fly IFR in a conventional cockpit. Would this at all be bad for my career?

I’m reluctant to continue instrument training by alternating between the two, since I really want to master the glass cockpit as much as possible. Our FTD’s only have conventional cockpit displays, but we won’t be doing any actual IFR flights in those.

1 Like

Kevin,

It is hard to comment on what is best when I do not know the specifics of what your flight school offers. I have never thought that it was necessary to train on the glass. If you have it available to you, great, but if you don’t then I wouldn’t worry about it. I would pick with one and stick with it though.

Chris

Kevin,

I think you’ll be fine either way. What I don’t like is the flying in one format while the FTD is in another. Like Chris alternating while working on a rating is less than a great idea.

Adam

1 Like

Kevin,

My opinion is that the conventional cockpit would be a better choice for your basic training. You will have plenty of time in glass later on in your career, whether it be as a CFI building time or in the jet at a regional.

Depending on how far into instrument you are and how much you have left, I would consider making the move back into steam gauges.

Yarden