"guaranteed" CFI position work with ATP

David,

I was referring to the Private Pilot written. While there’s no rush I recently had a conversation with a friend who’s an examiner. He explained he gets many pilots who flew all their hours (cause that’s the fun part) but then dragged their feet on the written. Finally they get to it but then they’re rusty because they hadn’t flown or need to fly extra hours. Not saying that’s your son, just a heads up.

Adam

I’m sorry I’m with you now. We purchased a video series produced by Sportys. We are studying with that as well as three books recommended by our instructor.

Excellent!

Adam

I haven’t commented on here before so I thought I would give it a try. I’m looking at attending ATP after the first of the year and just passed my written yesterday with a 92. I’ve been finishing up my private and getting close to having my hours. Just wanted to comment on the Sportys Learn To Fly. Very good program!!

Thanks for your comments, and good luck in your training. Would be glad to share and discuss all information about ATP and careers in aviation.

Derrick,

Well, thanks for joining us :slight_smile: A 92 is a great score on the written, congrats on that.

Which location are you thinking of attending?

Chris

I will be attending the Charlotte NC location (JQF). I’m looking forward to it!

Derrick

Bringing back this thread years later lol. Do the requirements still stand given the current situation? I mean atp stil advertises a garunteed cfi job but is that the case with Covid causing disruptions in the industry?

Daniel,

Interesting you found this 4yr old thread but didn’t see the current one on the subject?

Anyway no. ATP no longer advertises or has a CFI position guarantee based on the current situation. Take a look at the tread going on with a similar title for more info and discussion on the subject.

Adam

Daniel,

This topic has been covered in a recent thread:
https://airlinepilot.life/t/no-more-guaranteed-instructor-job/26508/28

Tory

I just read up on the other thread and I like what you said to the one person. You said if you get started now when this is all over you’ll be ahead of others. The CFI job at ATP seems really nice but I’d have no problem teaching at a mom and pop. The industry is crappy right now, but I think that some people could take advantage of that if they get their training done now. I want to fly my entire life and don’t really want to waste time doing something I hate so I think I am going to head to atp right away, get my ratings, and try and beat others out for the instructor job, and if not I’ll work at another airport. I have no problem moving around either so I think that I will have more options with that. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Daniel,

With that attitude you will do well and get ahead of the pack. You will be a Captain someday while the people who wait for things to improve will be your First Officers.

Chris

I’m confused, from what I understand:
-ATP is no longer guaranteeing a flight instructors job
-ATP is no longer providing ground school
-ATP is no longer helping with housing for instructors
-ATP is no longer giving a base pay to instructors for ground schooling
-So why are we paying the same rate if ATP policies have changed
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Garrett,

Correct. How can they? The economy tanked. If they gave everyone a job there wouldn’t be enough flying to go around for everyone. They are still hiring CFIs. It’s just more competitive now.

Not true unless something changed overnight? Where’d you see that? Ground school has always been provided. You can’t become a pilot without it. The format has evolved overtime. It has always relied heavily on self-study modules. King Schools training videos are now central to ATP’s ground school curriculum. Instructors are also expected and required to conduct ground school with their students as well.

This is true. Again, this is a reflection of the current times.

Correct, but Instructors are still being paid for ground. How much does a Flight Instructor earn?

ATP is unable to reduce the cost of the program. But what they have been able to do is offer the ATP-CTP course at no additional cost ($3,795 value) https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/atp-certification-training-program.html. You will also start to see ATP offer individual ratings. So soon students will have more options.

Tory

Garrett,

ATP is providing ground school. Much of it has moved to an online format, but ground school is still very much a part of training.

As for the other changes to the program, theses were made for several reasons.

The guaranteed flight instructor job went away because there has been a slow down in hiring at the regional airlines, thus ATP did not need to hire as many instructors. If they were to continue to guarantee a job, it would mean that there would be instructors not getting nearly the hours that they required. ATP is still hiring plenty of instructors, there is just a little more discretion in who they hire and I think that is a good thing.

ATP got into the housing market when the program was 90 days long and instructors only instructed for a few months before going to the airlines. At the time it was very hard for students and instructors to secure short term housing. Now the program is much longer and thanks to the 1,500 hour rule, pilots instruct for longer before going to the airlines. It is easier to secure longer term housing and VRBO, Air BnB, etc have made this much easier. ATP is a flight school, not a housing company.

ATP continues to pay instructors $15 per hour for ground instruction. https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/certificated-flight-instructor-job.html

All of this was done to best meet the needs of today’s students. Sure, all of the old programs could have continued, but at a much higher price. Instead, ATP was able to keep the price of the program the same while also offering the ATP-CTP as part of the program, for no additional price. This is real value to the students as it will make them much more qualified for the airlines.

Chris

Garrett,

The others have covered this well. The bottomline is ATP is doing their best to adapt to the current environment. The free ATP-CTP cert is huge, they’re still hiring instructors but the bar has been raised (work hard you’ll get one).

What hasn’t changed is ATPs reputation, it’s quality of instruction and their airline relationships. The fact remains there’s still no better route to airlines.

Adam

Hey I’m curious about that Adam? So seeing as I can’t get a leg up by doing the 100 hr multi, since I’m in the 25 hr program and am starting CFI soon. I assume that doing the FREE ATP-CTP course would be one way to also get a leg up on the competition? That being said when would a good time to do that course be? Would like after I complete my MEI but before I start instructing he an ideal time? Or would one want to wait till they get closer to applying or starting with a regional?

Josh,

Well seeing as the ATP CTP is now part of the ACPP curriculum (https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight-training-timeline.html) it would be the last thing that you completed as part of the ACPP. If you don’t complete the ATP CTP course as part of the ACPP, ATP offers the course to ATP Alumni for $2,795 ($1,000 off of regular price). So, I would take it as per the syllabus.

Tory

1 Like

I wonder how then that works for me since I’m basically having to come back to complete my CFI as an alumni

Call ATP tomorrow and find out.