Health Insurance

Hello,

I am wondering what, if anything, ATP offers to their students/instructors regarding health insurance. I am 28 currently working in a corporate role but am planning on starting at ATP in March. I am worried about healthcare coverage for the training period along with while I am instructing for the time I am gaining flight hours until I can work my way to an airline.

Thank you,

Brady,

Unfortunately, ATP instructors are independent contractors, so you won’t receive any health benefits and your pay will be pre-tax. The good news is that there are some regional airline cadet programs that will offer some benefits whilst you are still working as an instructor. You can take a look at some of the cadet programs and see what they offer. The alternative would be to source and pay for your own health insurance until you get to an airline that will support you.

Hope this helps!

Roscoe

Brady,

I would suggest looking at your state’s exchange Affordable Health Care, otherwise known as “Obama Care”. ATP does not offer health insurance for students or instructors. The Envoy cadet program being the exception to this.

Chris

Brady,

I enrolled in my own insurance coverage for two years from zero time to 1500 hours. It wasn’t too terribly expensive but definitely something to budget for. As the others have pointed out though, now some cadet programs are offering basic coverage as part of the pathway program agreement. You could activate that as soon as you graduate from the program.

Hannah