Hello Fellow Pilots

Hi,

I am a high school thinking of becoming a pilot and I would like to know the steps and processes of getting into the industry.

My plan was to

1. research flight schools
  2. discovery flight
  3. flight school
  4. go to a university with an aviation program
  5. apply for a job at a small airline

if you have anything to add i’ll be happy.

Jason,

A couple of things. First I recommend you visit our FAQ section where we answer many common questions and ATPs website will give you a good idea of the process (which it sounds like you might have?).

Next I’d put the discovery flight first. There’s really no point in researching flight schools until you do. While you may believe you want to be a pilot, until you actual go up you won’t know for sure.

I’d also give some thought to the aviation degree. The airlines don’t require or even prefer one. Much better to consider a degree in something else as a backup.

Finally you can’t fly for an airline until you build the required 1500hrs so they’ll be some flight instruction or other low time job first.

Adam

2 Likes

okay thanks for the help

Stay away from aviation colleges since they are very expensive, take a long time, doesn’t give you enough flight hours to get hired by an airline after graduation, and doesn’t give you a backup plan in case aviation doesn’t work out. Instead, go to a public college, major in something other than aviation that interests you, and to the ATP Flex Program while you’re there (https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/college-degree-program.html). Therefore, you can get hired by a regional airline right after graduating from college.

2 Likes

this was my plan

Imran,

That is pretty solid advice on staying away from aviation colleges. Well said.

Chris

Jason,

Your plan is missing several steps. There will be no towing of gliders, flying sky divers, scenic tours, etc until you have a commercial pilots license with an instrument rating. It is illegal to fly for pay without having such and it really is not legal either for you to fly for a commercial enterprise if you do not have a commercial license, even if you fly for free. You will need to have your ratings and some flight time before you can accomplish any of the items on your list, the exception being applying for a pilot slot with the military if you decide to go that route.

Chris

i’m still fixing it. that’s why i’m asking for advice

Check out this link: https://atpflightschool.com/become-a-pilot/

Thank you!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

1 Like