I want to find out how to plan out my steps to becoming a pilot

I am a High School Student that is currently interested in becoming a Commercial Pilot. Hoping to fly for an airline and live my dreams not only earning a well amount but creating a lifelong experience to hopefully one day relish. I am currently looking at all opportunities but I wanted to get some help with finding the right path to success. How do I start?

Michael,

Welcome to the forum, let’s get right to your question, how do I start.

As this is quite commonly asked, we encourage everyone to visit the FAQ section on the forum because sometimes the question you may have been there. Right now, since you’re in high school is finishing with good grades and participating in extracurricular activities that could involve aviation or community service. There are programs like Civil Air Patrol (CAP) where you can get involved in the aviation field. A lot can change in the next few years with aviation, who knows if the pay will stay, the regionals operate, will degrees matter. We recommend a 4-year degree, but what you can do is start some of your college credits out of high school and then complete your degree as you are at a regional airline which will open your doors at a major.

I think the simplest way you can get started is taking introductory flights, to make sure that you would feel comfortable in the training environment and have the experience of flying a plane. If you’re looking to make a career out of flying, an Airline Career Pilot Program (ACPP) like ATP is your best bet. The only reason I could say acquire your Private Pilot Certificate outside ATP is if you’re unsure it’s for you. That’s why Admission/Introductory Flights are important and gauging your own experience is important. If you have an ATP location nearby, you could complete a Training Center tour and see firsthand experience what it’s like to be in the training environment, but for an Admission Flight you must be at least 18 years old.

A lot of the struggle for flight training is acquiring the funds, at ATP they have a partnered provider, Sallie Mae. However, you may use whoever you would like to service your financials. There are Tuition Reimbursement and Cadet Programs that help offset the costs of loan payment.

I would encourage to spend some time through the ATP website and the forum during your time as a high school student to keep up to date with changes and others’ experience. You can also ask questions freely over the time as you decide and make your choices.

Brady