High School Junior

Hello, my name is Mike and I’m currently a junior in high school. I have a 4.0 gpa and I know I want to become an airline pilot as early as I can. Am I able to go to the ATP Career Pilot Program right out of high school? What do I need to enter the program? I would plan on going to college for a bachelors degree after this program while ideally working as a CFI close to home to build hours as I go through my schooling. I know building your hours can take awhile, so I would want to fly while going to school to build them the quickest. I would rather get paid to fly as a CFI instead of having to go fly privately and pay a lot! Let me know what you guys would do, thanks!

Mike,

Please spend some time on this website and ATP’s website as many of your questions will be answered there.

No, you cannot enter directly into ATP’s program from high school. You will need to have two years of college, two years of work experience, or a private pilots license.

Chris

Thank you for the fast response Chris! I will continue to read through these forums. One more quick question, how did you become a pilot? And if you had to do it all over again, how would you have done it? Thank you!

Mike,

Take a look in the Biographies section as my path is explained there.

I would take exactly the same path again and would chose to do this job again. I really like what I do and can’t imagine doing anything else.

Chris