Going to ATP after right after high school

Hello my name is Joshua I am 16 years old and a junior in highschool. I’ve had a dream since i was little on flying. I have tooken a few discovery flights and I now realize I wanna become a commercial airline pilot. I wanna attenend ATP over here in Mesa Arizona. Would it be a good idea to go straight there after highschool? What supplies would i need to bring to be prepared such as Ipads and certain books? Also do i have to have a degree to be a pilot for a regional airline? I wanna be a regional pilot more than I wanna be a pilot for a major carrier like Delta or American. When i attend ATP i will go through the CFI stuff as well after I graduate.

Joshua,

First off you can’t go to ATP right after High School. ATP requires either a 2yr degree, equivalent work experience or a Private Pilot license to enroll. While I know you believe you’re ready but ATP has found that most people right out of High School don’t have the discipline to be successful in the program.

While the Regionals do not require a degree the Majors do. Now while I know you say now you’d rather be a pilot for a Regional, after you’re there for a few years and see all your friends moving on to Majors, flying heavies around the World and getting paid 3 times what you’re making you may feel differently.

Best advice I can give you is to continue your education. Earn at least a 2yr degree, THEN start your flight training. That way you’ve got something to fall back on and if you do decide to go to a Major (or do something else) you’re half way to a 4 yr degree.

Adam

Hi, If a high school student has already obtained their PPL, then can they go to ATP right after high school?

Seth,

Yes, that would meet ATP’s eligibility criteria. Of course this is always subject to the Admissions Department.

Chris

Seth,

They could but as we said above it’s not recommended nor a good idea.

Adam

Seth,

Here are the prerequisites for reference:

So just to be clear no college degree is required.

Keep in mind that while ATp doesn’t require a college degree, if you are already in school mode, you
Might as well continue through college because it will great increase
Your chances of making it to a major

Correct.

When is the next class starting? I’m trying to get in as soon as I can

Savali,

ATP has 38 locations across the country. Further there’s a process for enrollment (admissions flight, First Class medical, financing etc). I recommend you spend some quality time on the ATP website and then contact admin for enrollment options.

Adam

Adam is it really this tedious process of getting in? I feel like giving up. I have always wanted to gain flying knowledge and be the best pilot! Sounds like just a Dream. Thank you Adam, I appreciate the information.

Savali,

If you consider those requirements (all of which are there for a reason) “tedious” and that has caused you to “feel like giving up”, respectfully I suggest this isn’t for you.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the clarity and I’ll try and if it still makes me feel like so then I’ll turn away from this dream.

Thank you

Savali,

The process to get into ATP is really rather simple and straight forward. If this simple process makes you want to give up, then I would say that the airlines are not for you as it is far more complicated to get hired by an airline. Things that are rewarding take effort to accomplish, they are not just handed to you.

Chris