Hoping for some advice

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums here and have spent a lot of time over the past week reading through every forum thread that I can about this topic. My question revolves around a past DUI. I have read through the FAQ and other posts but what worries me is that COVID might have changed things for the next couple years in regards to what the regionals/majors are willing to overlook.

A little background information about myself. In early 2006 when I was 20, I was arrested for a misdemeanor DUI. This was entirely my fault and was clearly a sign of immaturity in which I take full responsibility for. This is no indication of the person that I am and it taught me a valuable lesson. I am now 34 years old and looking back, I’m dumbfounded by the decisions I made back then. Since that DUI, I have only had 1 speeding ticket which was in 2016.

I have a bachelors degree in Economics and currently work in finance. I have wanted to become a pilot for many years and am finally able to make the jump. My concern though is that looking back as soon as a year ago it seemed the likelihood a regional would overlook something like this might’ve been higher due to the shortage. But with the current climate along with the uncertain future of the industry (over the next couple years or so) it now makes me worried about how they may treat this type of history in the future. It seems before the shortage a past DUI virtually eliminated your chances in most cases (as stated in Adam’s great thread on the topic in the FAQ section).

I know no one can predict the future, so I guess this thread is a bit more of a reach for advice. I would love to start up the ATP program, and get my training done by that time the industry is making a comeback hopefully. Should I rethink this though with my DUI? Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Best,
Matt

Matt,

Yes, COVID has changed the entire world. The airlines specifically aren’t expected to recover for at least the next 2-4 years at best. Eventually they will recover. The question is when? Because everyone is waiting for the airlines to resume hiring, we’re all wondering what it will look like when that happens.

Pre-COVID, a pilot with a DUI on their record from 10+ years ago could be hired by a regional as long as they were honest about it.

With the time it would take you to become eligible for a regional, I suspect enough time will have passed for the airlines to resume hiring. Will your DUI and speeding ticket prevent you from ever getting hired? IMO, no. May it take you longer to get the call? Maybe.

It doesn’t hurt to contact the airlines directly about your situation.

Tory

Matt,

I personally think this is something that you can easily overcome. Just make sure to keep your record clean moving forward and own what happened, just like you did in your post. I would recommend calling a few regional airlines and asking them directly.

Chris

Tory and Chris,

Thanks for your responses here this helps tremendously. I took your advice and contacted one of the supervisors over pilot recruiting for a regional this morning and they told me as long as the DUI is over 10 years old it is not a concern for them which is great news. Thanks for all of your advice.

Best,
Matt

1 Like

Matt,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris