Mistakes, Career, Future?

Hello all. I am looking at going to ATP for the 0-CPL 100 Mutli Engine program and then instruct with them for a few years after. I also plan to get a bachelors degree in physics. My dream has been to fly for a major airline. There’s one thing holding me back though, and I’m not sure how it will affect my career as a pilot. I received a DUI in 2010(I was 18) and another in 2013(I was 21). I no longer drink, and have not been in trouble since then. What are my chances of having a career as a pilot? Say 10 years have passed since my last DUI and it is 2023, what are the chances then? Even if the journey is difficult, is it possible?

Jeff,

A few things, to begin with, if you are planning on instructing for ATP there is really no need to do the 100 hour multi program. You will get plenty of multi time as an ATP instructor. My advice is to do the 40 hours of multi program and save yourself the ten thousand dollars.

Onto the DUIs, none of us can really predict how an airline will look at these. The good news is that the last one was in 2013, so if you stay out of trouble you will have six years of clean driving by the time you apply to the regionals in 2019 (at the earliest). I would recommend that you call several regional airline recruiting departments and speak with them directly. If you call any of the American wholly owned regionals (Envoy, Piedmont, PSA) ask them how the DUIs will affect your flow through to American.

As for the majors, I really don’t know. You will have plenty of years of good behavior by then, but the airlines will also have thousands of applicants that have had no legal problems at all. You will really need to find a way to distinguish yourself from the pack. Even then, it is baggage and you will need to deal with it. You might consider calling Kage Consulting and asking them your question, but it will cost you a few bucks.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Did you go to ATP? Would you mind me sending you a message with a few questions about them? I can’t seem to get a reply from them after sending a few emails.

Jeff,

I did go to ATP and was very pleased with my experience there.

I am not entirely sure what you are asking of me, you want me to send you a message with questions about ATP?

The best way to get a hold of admissions is the old fashioned way, on the telephone.

Chris

Jeff,

Just to chime in here 1 DUI is bad, 2 is VERY bad. As Chris said if you can put some distance (time) between you and the last one I think you have a legitimate shot but that comes with a BIG caveat. You sir have to be squeaky clean for the rest of your days (or at least as long as you plan to fly). I participated in hiring at my last airline and trust me when we see DUI there’s always a collective sigh and some head scratching (“ok what do we do with this guy?”). After that we get out the microscope and start searching. How’s this guy’s driving record? While a speeder or 2 is usually not a problem for you it would be. Any failed checkrides? Again usually not an issue but for you it is. What I saying is you’re going in with a BIG strike against you and really can’t afford anymore, not 1. I’m not trying to paint a dark picture and again I believe it is possible to have a successful career as a pilot BUT you really will have to make a serious commitment to doing well in training and behaving responsibly. The good news is both those are doable and neither is a bad thing.

Adam

Thanks Adam. What is the hardest part about training? Is it just retaining the insane amount of information?

I find the hardest part by far to be retaining such large amounts of information, especially about airplane systems. I just try and take one system at a time and really learn it, then move onto the next one. The same thing applies to all the various flows that have to be learned. It seems like a huge amount of information, and it is, but when broken down into smaller parts it is manageable.

Jeff,

Everybody is different and faces different challenges. Personally I always did well with the book stuff but it was sim that gave me grief. Some people it’s the opposite, some it’s EVERYTHING, some it’s nothing. I always try and go in with the attitude if I work hard enough I can learn anything so it’s up to me to get busy.

Adam

Hello Chris. I am strongly considering ATP for my school. I have been comparing the two programs (regular/100 hour multi) and read this thread. Your advice to Jeff was to stick with the 40 hour multi and save $10k if he was going to be an instructor for ATP (he would get plenty of multi hours as an instructor); but I was reading ATPs site and it says that only graduates of the multi hour program are able to be multi engine instructors. Could you clarify this a little for me? Thank you very much.

Sean,

I applaud you for doing your research and finding this old thread :slight_smile: My advice to Jeff was appropriate for the time. Three years ago the industry was very different and it was really just a race to get to 1,500 hours and then the airlines were eagerly hiring new pilots. Also, ATP did not have the requirement that multi instructors complete the 100 hour program, now they do.

There is still a demand for pilots and will continue to be so, but qualifications matter much more again and I think that is a good thing. As such, I am now recommending the 100 hour multi program again as the airlines and many corporate operators will really like to see that 100 hours of multi engine time.

Impressive research on your part.

Chris

1 Like

Wow!!..Thank you for replying so quickly!!

I realize this next question is “jumping the gun” a bit since I have not even began school yet…

May I ask you what your thoughts are regarding post graduation work?.. If I were fortunate enough to be considered for a CFI position with ATP (since it is not guaranteed), I know that would be a for-sure way to build hours and earn a little bit of money to help in repaying the loan; I also thought perhaps a good way to build hours might be to apply for a position with a Tour Company (I am fortunate to live in an area that have busy operating tour companies). One company specifically flies Twin Turboprop Vistaliners (I know there is no guarantee of a position there either)…but if I were lucky enough to have both as an option, which would be the better option in your professional opinion? (a little background here, I am 38 and married. My wife’s career is not one in which she can easily relocate; so instructing with ATP for 2 years in an out-of-state location is not as attractive)
Thank you so much,
Sean

Sean,

That would be a good alternative but I would also consider using that as a stepping stone towards a different flying job like cargo or charter or CFI (I wouldn’t throw that option out just because you don’t get it right away) to hone your IFR skills.

Tory

Sean,

It’s not simply about the quantity of hours but the quality and nothing hones your skills better than flight instructing. I know a number of pilots who have flown for tour companies and struggled with airline training. Tour flights by definition is VFR flying and does zero for your instrument skills. When you show up for airline training if your instrument skills are weak it’s a huge problem. My sim partner at my first Regional flew InterIsland cargo and tours in Hawaii. He washed out.

Adam

1 Like

Sean,

Instructing, whether it is with ATP or not, is really the best way to build quality flight hours. Being an instructor, particularly one that teaches instrument skills, will keep your skills sharp and your knowledge up to date. While sightseeing flights will build a decent amount of flight time, it really is not the best quality time one can build. To be clear though, plenty of sightseeing pilots are now at the airlines.

Chris

Thank you very much to all of you for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate all the guidance I can get as I venture into this new segment of my life.

Sean,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris